Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this be worth it for those of us who shy away from repair work (save making minor self-repairs, which is what this is probably used for)?

Watch Tool Font Clock Ruler

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
3,319 Posts
Would this be worth it for those of us who shy away from repair work (save making minor self-repairs, which is what this is probably used for)?
I don't think this should be used as your main screwdrivers and/or spring hook. The screwdrivers are too short and their shafts too wide for much of the work that you might want to do yourself, and you could get a much better and more flexible set of tools for far less.

However, as others have mentioned above, it seems like a great little tool to keep in your case for emergency (i.e., on the gig) repairs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,657 Posts
Aside from the TSA approval, I don't think this has any particular benefits over just having a small tool kit in your case. And even then, it would arguably only benefit those who aren't checking in baggage. And, as mentioned, those screwdrivers are a bit too short, really.

All you need is a couple of small screwdrivers, a crocheting hook, some teflon tape, a little bottle of clear nail polish, a little bottle of oil, a couple of emery boards and maybe some tiny pliers. I've got my tools in a small pencil case and they easily fit in my sax case.

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Going to be really hard to access quite a few screws with short wide drivers like that and the body of the thing always in the way. I've got my emergency sax tools in a little ziplock baggie and they take up about as much space as a pack of cigarettes, but they're all real tools. Frankly I think you could carry on some standard jeweler's screwdrivers to a plane more easily than something that looks EXACTLY like a pocket knife!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey all! Here’s a video I made about the Voyager in case you want to see how it can be used. Happy to answer any questions you might have as well!
It took about a year to develop and I do believe it’s going to be a very useful tool for a lot of folks 😄🎷 I created it because I was also carrying around eyeglass screwdrivers that were never quite the proper size for screw slots and in addition always leaving one on a music stand, letting someone ‘borrow’ one etc. I wanted to create compact all-in-one that also included a spring hook and reed leveling tool, which I find to be invaluable when traveling or on a gig!

·
Registered
41 Posts
for the working pro or teacher this will be helpful now for basement jo maybe not so much
haha for sure! It’s for on the go, not doing a mechanical rebuild. I am actually developing some professional level repair tool kits to go along with a digital course on horn repair that is in the works… but those won’t fit in your pocket 😂

·
Registered
9,077 Posts
A little leak light, one screwdriver and scotch tape is what I carry.
Find the leak and little shims of scotch tape fixes them until I can work on it at home.
I wish Selmer had left the adjusting screws on the feet of the keys like the BA has.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
As one who has disassembled reassembled numerous horns me thinks this little Voyager would be a terrific "get me out of jail" solution for those on-the-run horn issues that occasionally plague the gigging musician. I think it would make a great gift - but - the aussie dollar and ridiculous US postal rates makes this unattractive :-(

·
Registered
41 Posts
As one who has disassembled reassembled numerous horns me thinks this little Voyager would be a terrific "get me out of jail" solution for those on-the-run horn issues that occasionally plague the gigging musician. I think it would make a great gift - but - the aussie dollar and ridiculous US postal rates makes this unattractive :-(
We will absolutely be sending some to our AU dealers in '23 👍 ❤ 🎷

·
Registered
1935 BA Alto, 1952 SBA Tenor
80 Posts
Jack, do you have a tutorial for those of us who don’t have the knowledge of basic repairs for addressing quick fixes on our own? Other than tugging a screw or two, I never learned to do much else for my horns. (insert embarrassed emoji here)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts