Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Looking for info on an old King alto I just picked up on eBay. It is a King Voll TONE horn, which I can't find info about anywhere. When I bid on it, I figured the seller was just mixing up the name Voll True, but when it arrived, sure enough "Voll Tone" is stenciled right there on the bell!

The only info I could find was an old thread, which can be seen here:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/archive/index.php/t-5112.html
The poster seemed as confused as I was, but there is little info in the responses. Most seem to think (s)he was just misreading the name.

The horn I got is very similar to the one described there. Serial number is 1215xx, and there is also a stenciled patent date of 8-18-25.

Visually, the horn looks most like a Voll True I - http://www.saxpics.com/?v=gal&a=3115
Even the engraving is the same, except that it reads Voll Tone instead of Voll True.
In fact, visually I can't discern any other difference between the horn I bought and the one in the photos. Exact same keywork everywhere as far as I can tell.

Does anyone know anything about the history of this horn? Was Voll Tone an early name for the Voll True? Or was it a step-up or step-down horn? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I know. That is why I included a link to that thread in my original post.

As I mentioned, there's not much information in it, aside from one poster speculating that the horn is pre-Voll True.

Anyone have any more info?

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
my guess is that if in 7 years nobody did come up with anything..........could have been just an engraver's Typo :bluewink: or you have an incredibly rare horn, now the question is, is rare also valuable?

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
There should be a law......

Please post some good pictures of your horn. Hard for those of us who have horns on hand to compare if we have nothing to compare.

This whole is an old sax worth keeping if it currently isn't valuable is to me silly. Its whole premise is based upon some conception that you are trading money which itself is highly questionable for something not every saxophone player thinks might have value. Yea if you are day trading saxs then you might ought to be concerned. If you are like me and you enjoy playing an instrument that would have been played by someone your grandpa's age then lead on.

I wasn't even remotely suggesting that it would be of high value or not, just merely stating that something rare is not necessarily valuable as many saxophone's owners who seek information on their never seen before horn seem to think. The monetary value is not an useful criterium for the player or the collector.

I wasn't even remotely suggesting that it would be of high value or not, just merely stating that something rare is not necessarily valuable as many saxophone's owners who seek information on their never seen before horn seem to think. The monetary value is not an useful criterium for the player or the collector.
+1 I wasn't accusing you of being silly. You are one of the voices of reason on this site that I respect.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello All,

Seems like this horn is quite a mystery. Per FremontSax's advice, I'm attaching several photos of the horn in question in this post and a few to follow. Apologies it took this long - I don't have regular access to a digital camera.

As you can see in the first photo (the one ending in 42), the engraving clearly reads "Voll Tone." Other than that, the keywork looks similar to a Voll True to me, but would love to hear what more expert eyes have to say on the matter.

All the best,
Mike

Attachments

this is a very mysterious horn,definitely a King, seems to be like early kings, I would say you stumbled up something exceedingly rare and I would sell it to king itself for their museum.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for looking, Milandro.

I sent an email about a week ago to the contact address at the HN White website, but haven't heard anything back from them. Do you know anyone in particular there who I might want to speak to?

My dilemma is that I was planning to use the horn as a rebuilding project - the first I've ever attempted. However, if the horn has historical value, I'd be hesitant to take my novice skills to it. Hmm... any thoughts?

I think that your horn is rare and possibly interesting for HN White, I don't know how valuable in monetary terms that would be. I don't think this should be your first rebuilding project!

[rolleyes] he who shan't be named on SOTW? Is he connected with HN White? Is he a King collector? Are you out of your mind and suggests that he does the restoration ? :twisted:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Still no response from the email on the hnwhite website.

Does anyone know who I might contact that would be interested in this horn?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts