Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had to learn to sing for the first time in a solo situation?

I've been doing all I can to make it happen for me. I always wanted to sing, and my in-the-shower attempts sounded good to me, but some close friends suggested I take lessons.

I whacked away at the challenge, but it wasn't til my son asked why I didn't sing like I do to my daughter when I put her to bed at night.

Bolt of lightning.

I realized I had two completely different approaches, and started recording and comparing them. wow.

So now I have completely shifted to the bedtime approach--basically a lot more relaxed and unforced--and I think I'm getting the beginnings of an acceptable voice.

Won't win any Grammies just yet, but definitely adds to the package.

· Distinguished SOTW Member.
6,173 Posts
I was a lame singer many years ago. But I realized it was important for me to sing, as singers are the hardest person in the band to find and I didn't want to be dependent on finding one. Plus as a music survivor (I've been making my livelihood doing music and nothing but music since the 60s) I realized my worth as a musician would be increased the more instruments I play so I added vocals, flute, bass, guitar, keyboards, and drums to my sax playing.

Sax players have an advantage in that we should know how to breathe through our diaphragms - this and related breath support are essential for both good control of our voices and health of our vocal cords.

So I took some second hand technique lessons from people who had formal vocal training and then practiced, practiced practiced and practiced some more. It is like learning a new instrument. Pretty soon I was singing easy songs and then as I practiced more I went on to more challenging songs (If you can't practice on stage, where can you practice <grin>).

I'm still not a great singer, but I'm a decent singer. I sing as well as my own instrument limitations allow me (I'm a baritone). My duo partner is an excellent singer, so she does the hardest songs.

I'm good enough to do a single act though, but I really prefer the duo situation.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

· Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My latest foray into the unknown was to record a simple backbeat with short chops on a strat. Had to play one chord at a time, since I couldn't change fast enough, but that's what software's for.

I have to say, me playing a guitar is the thing I least expected and I remain stunned about it a week after the fact.

Came out sounding alright, mixed low. With lots of reverb.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.