Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked to play something at a friend's wedding. The easiest way I can think of doing this would be to remove the vocals from the song he requested and then play along. I found software that claims to be able to do this for about 50.00 but don't know if it will actually work. Anybody have experience with this stuff? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
most times this is a filter that removes either certain frequencies or a portion of the stereo field, so a lot depends upon how the vocals are panned and where they sit in the mix.

Might be better to find midi files, or lead sheets for the requested songs and create backing tracks with a program like Band in a Box, or check ebay for some backing track CDs.

or name that tune and maybe someone here can help directly.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Try http://www.jazzbacks.com/cgi-bin/online-store or get some aeberold tracks converted to mp3 and shorten them to the appropriate length with Audacity Freeware (since I imagine you don't want to solo for 8 times on each song) and then play them with an ipod connected to the PA Machine at the wedding. There is a Pretty Good wedding album for sax with backing track I bought last and I will try to find the link. You might also check out http://www.jazzpianotracks.com/

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Many examples of this type of software rely on the fact that the solo voice is panned exactly in the middle of the stereo image.

The software reverses the polarity of either the left or right channel and then adds the two (left and right) together. Phase cancellation should then get rid of anything that was exactly "in the middle".

It can have some fairly deleterious effects on the rest of the track as well!

Sometimes you can get a fairly acceptable result, but nothing is guaranteed. I wouldn't pay $50 though - I've seen freeware examples of software like this.

Stefan

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You will find the "vocal removal software" in the aisle right next to the Midi->XLR cables. :D

·
Super Moderator
26,521 Posts
Giganova said:
You will find the "vocal removal software" in the aisle right next to the Midi->XLR cables. :D
:sign5:
Funniest post of the day--maybe the week.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,978 Posts
Giganova said:
Do you need Phantom power to remove the voices?

·
Super Moderator
26,521 Posts
No, the Phantom: the 'Ghost who Walks'.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think there's an "Audacity" freeware free patch that will do this too. Kind of a moot point now that RegSopalto has found his solution but I'll post it all the same. For those who have used Audacity, I wonder if there's a way to manually do this - record Left and Right channels as mono tracks, reverse the polarity on one and then do a "quick mix" to sum them up. I'll have to look at this later.

- Mike

·
Super Moderator
26,521 Posts
vermontsax said:
I think there's an "Audacity" freeware free patch that will do this too. Kind of a moot point now that RegSopalto has found his solution but I'll post it all the same. For those who have used Audacity, I wonder if there's a way to manually do this - record Left and Right channels as mono tracks, reverse the polarity on one and then do a "quick mix" to sum them up. I'll have to look at this later.

- Mike
This sort of works, but generally the vocal reverb is panned right and left and its not in the center, so still have the 'ghost' of the reverb (referred to above). So, if your interpretation is 'different' from the original, the reverb does not match your interpretation. This is why, when asked if vocals can be removed, to say NO.

...of course, people still use that crappy 'autotune' stuff, too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
I dunno about 'vocal removing' software, but a good useful piece of
hardware for removing vocals is a baseball bat. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.