Sax on the Web Forum banner

VL70-m discontinued

9K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  notes_norton 
#1 ·
Yamaha has discontinued this physical modeling synth. It's already becoming hard to find. If anyone is dabbling with the idea of getting one, but has been putting it off, now is a good time to get it!

#4 ·
I've got a VL70-m in the closet that I haven't used for years. Will it increase in value? Maybe if I wait another 15 years ...

#5 ·
Mine got delivered yesterday, and I should have done it long ago. It doesn't really compete with the EWI-- it's a synth, not a controller, and by most accounts blows the synth on the AKAI away. In fact, many with the EWI use it to drive the VL70.

#8 ·
I think its has been the perfect match to my Yamaha WX-5 especially with Patchman turbo patches. I am looking forward to seeing what Yamaha comes up with next though.

B
Me too. I like dedicated hardware vs "soft" options. I've got a patchman modified VL and a stock model. I'm guessing the best time to sell will be about a year or two from now after all the "New old stock" has sold.

#15 ·
I use mine on a lot of Pop songs that don't necessarily need saxophone. Sometimes I will double the bass line with a synth patch or play a synth lead line. People really seem to like it and it's more fun than playing cowbell.

#17 ·
I dug my VL70-m and old WX-7 out of the back of the closet. I forgot how much fun it is to play. But then, I have a lot of things that are fun to play. I realize why it ended up in the closet. When I first got it I wasn't in a live playing situation. I was making backing tracks on my arranger keyboard, recording on my computer, etc. But I've been gigging steadily for the last 10 years, and doubling on keyboard just makes for too much gear. For a special concert, I might bring the bari along too. Adding the WX & the VL70 would be gear overload. I'd probably esplode. Too many instruments, too little time ...

#19 ·
I actually like the octave keys on the WX5. They are much faster than those on the WX7 or WX11.

What would I do to improve the VL70?

Better voices, and more custom slots.

IMHO it is the only serious synth for emulative wind controller playing, and I hate to see it go. But I have two in my possession (with the TURBO chip) and no, they are not for sale.

Notes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.