Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yamaha has discontinued this physical modeling synth. It's already becoming hard to find. If anyone is dabbling with the idea of getting one, but has been putting it off, now is a good time to get it!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Dissapointing, but they should be able to put this out as a
stand-alone software and vsti plugin with far more capability
than the original box.

Should be able to run this on an iPad or cheap netbook
with nearly unlimited voices.

Ball is in your court, Yamaha....

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
It has been on the market for well over 15 years. It is about time they replaced it with something better to keep up with the new Akai EWI.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts
I've got a VL70-m in the closet that I haven't used for years. Will it increase in value? Maybe if I wait another 15 years ...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine got delivered yesterday, and I should have done it long ago. It doesn't really compete with the EWI-- it's a synth, not a controller, and by most accounts blows the synth on the AKAI away. In fact, many with the EWI use it to drive the VL70.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,491 Posts
I think its has been the perfect match to my Yamaha WX-5 especially with Patchman turbo patches. I am looking forward to seeing what Yamaha comes up with next though.

B

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I think its has been the perfect match to my Yamaha WX-5 especially with Patchman turbo patches. I am looking forward to seeing what Yamaha comes up with next though.

B
Me too. I like dedicated hardware vs "soft" options. I've got a patchman modified VL and a stock model. I'm guessing the best time to sell will be about a year or two from now after all the "New old stock" has sold.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
I hope they update the WX5 too...

·
13,021 Posts
Me too. I like dedicated hardware vs "soft" options. I've got a patchman modified VL and a stock model. I'm guessing the best time to sell will be about a year or two from now after all the "New old stock" has sold.
Fader, do you play yours much? I've got a VL and WX in the back of the closet. I was totally into it when I first got it several years ago, but I found that I didn't have any use for it in a live playing situation or even recording. It was too much extra gear for limited use - kind of a gimmick effect. I'd be interested in hearing from people who actively use theirs and how you use it, what type of music, etc. I believe Notes Norton uses his but he does a multi-instrument act. I think I first met him years ago on a VL70m board. Do others use theirs much? Is anybody performing regularly or recording with it? Are there "brand name" players who perform or record with theirs?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What would you do to improve it? Me - I would reconfigure the octave keys a bit. Other than that, I don't think I would change a thing.
I'm with you, Fader. The octave keys, and maybe a tad more flexibility about which CC messages the thumb wheel can send.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Nothing at all "brand name" about me, but I have created many ads for brand name products using one. I also use mine, along with a sax or two to create very realistic, recorded full horn sections.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I use mine on a lot of Pop songs that don't necessarily need saxophone. Sometimes I will double the bass line with a synth patch or play a synth lead line. People really seem to like it and it's more fun than playing cowbell.

·
13,021 Posts
I dug my VL70-m and old WX-7 out of the back of the closet. I forgot how much fun it is to play. But then, I have a lot of things that are fun to play. I realize why it ended up in the closet. When I first got it I wasn't in a live playing situation. I was making backing tracks on my arranger keyboard, recording on my computer, etc. But I've been gigging steadily for the last 10 years, and doubling on keyboard just makes for too much gear. For a special concert, I might bring the bari along too. Adding the WX & the VL70 would be gear overload. I'd probably esplode. Too many instruments, too little time ...

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
564 Posts
I dug my VL70-m and old WX-7 out of the back of the closet. I forgot how much fun it is to play. But then, I have a lot of things that are fun to play. I realize why it ended up in the closet. When I first got it I wasn't in a live playing situation. I was making backing tracks on my arranger keyboard, recording on my computer, etc. But I've been gigging steadily for the last 10 years, and doubling on keyboard just makes for too much gear. For a special concert, I might bring the bari along too. Adding the WX & the VL70 would be gear overload. I'd probably esplode. Too many instruments, too little time ...
would you want sell your VL?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
7,631 Posts
I actually like the octave keys on the WX5. They are much faster than those on the WX7 or WX11.

What would I do to improve the VL70?

Better voices, and more custom slots.

IMHO it is the only serious synth for emulative wind controller playing, and I hate to see it go. But I have two in my possession (with the TURBO chip) and no, they are not for sale.

Notes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts