Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you ever pass on a deal and later kicked yourself for doing it? I passed on a nice 1978 Vito/Yani Soprano about 4 yrs ago . . . because I didn't want to part with $500 plus tax. Later . . . and too late . . . I came to my senses but the sax was no longer available.

Went into a pawn shop a few days ago . . . and found my long lost deal! Walked out with the sax (same one!) this time . . . $400 out the door!!

Ah, sweet success!! But I still shoulda bought it the first time . . .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Why don't you pawn it in East Dallas sometime... I can suggest a couple places close to my loft... I can make sure no one else buys it when it comes out on the floor...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
The only thing better that scoring a great sax is getting it for a low price. Congratulations! And to add to your victory, I will be willing to provide free disposal of any saxophone you need to get rid of to make room for this nice Vito/Yani sop. :bluewink:

·
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, this is one of those classic Yani "what model IS this thing anyway?" saxes. 1978 was the transition year between the S6 and the S800 . . . but then Yani in that era never let anything like models and specifications get in the way of building saxes. It has the metal thumbrest like the S6, the strap ring like the S800, and no adjusting screw on the lower stack arm like the S6. Typical Yani of that period . . . they kind of glissando'd into a new model.

·
1,526 Posts
I have a Yani copy sop, I am using a Jody Jazz 6 HR piece with #2 1/2 Rico Reserve reeds... What is your setup Fred?

·
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use a Super Session H with a little shaved wooden thingy on it. It was a good fit for my Buescher TT, but I will probably break out the box of extra sop mpcs to see if I like something better on this one. The shaved wooden thingy is currently the same as yours, but I'm playin' so little these days I play what I've got as long as it doesn't make my eyeballs pop out tryin' to make a sound.

·
1,526 Posts
I have to shave/scrape sop reeds much more than alto or tenor which play 'right outta the box' better... Differential between reed size and cane 'grain' creates more problems on sop reeds I believe... Good luck with the sop...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts