Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kenosha Vito with pads without resonators. I judge it to be about 20% less loud than if it had had resonators. I must admit that there is sometime enchanting about its warm and balanced tone.

I can only assume such a horn would be ideal for intimate settings and for practicing if you have high strung neighbors.

On the subject of resonators, I hear no difference between plactic and metal ones.

· Registered
1,313 Posts
This has been a subject of discussion and debate amongst techs and players alike for decades. Some hear a difference and some don't. Some like that difference, and some don't. Materials seem to matter less than the shape/construction of the resonator(flat/domed, hollywood, etc..). Also, comparison is difficult at best, as each saxophone has it's own personality and plays differently from each other, even though they came off the production line in sequence, while also using the same pads and same resonators. Keep in mind also that we don't all hear equally well, in terms of sound level (db) but also timbre/tone sounds differently to all. Even using the same sax as a reso test subject, changing pads/resonators out fast/well enough to accurately compare back and forth between different products is out of the question. We all have our opinions but you know what they say about them...:D

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jerry Jamz for your reply..

Everything you say makes sense to me.

From my limited experience I would say the difference between plastic and metal resonators of the same size is very slight.

This is of pratical importance in the sense that until I get a little more organized, I might be that I have to put a metal resonator in a horn with plastic resonators.

It is good to know for all intents and purposes, there is no difference.

It makes sense to me that the size and shape are more significant than the material.

Of course the customer’s horn is his object, and it sometimes happens tha we develop a fetish relationship to our objects meaning to say some customers might wish to have unusual resonators installed…

· Registered
1,313 Posts
zagzig said:
Of course the customer's horn is his object, and it sometimes happens tha we develop a fetish relationship to our objects meaning to say some customers might wish to have unusual resonators installed…
We always ask our customers, if resonator discussion comes up, what they don't like about the type their instrument currently has, and what they desire to accomplish by changing to a different style. If the customer wants/demands "X" resonator, and they are not happy afterwards, this creates problems for all parties involved. I try to avoid this situation like the plague. (If in doubt, I call Curt!) :D

Belileve it or not, even changing the way a mouthpiece cork is installed on the neck/mouthpipe can make a huge difference to some players. If the original cork was installed flush-cut with the end of the pipe, we install the new one that way. If the cork was beveled on the end, we do likewise.

Yada yada..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.