Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Vito Tenor: The elements of mechanics like Yamaha, other elements like Kenosha. What is this model, where is it made, how good is it?
Serial number is still unknown.
Thanks.
Sergei.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
I think this is neither a Beaugnier or a Yamaha ( despite the look) but this may be a Conn made VIto.

·
38,847 Posts
One of the so many incarnation of the Director “ Shooting star” had this kind of lefthand plateau and a similar guard with cut triangles. I am not sure of the model number but I am sure I have seen them.

·
38,847 Posts
Yamaha has the low keys on the other side. There is for sure a conn shooting star with the keyguards similar to this.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I really don't think that's a Conn. From what I can tell the Conn Director (shooting stars) tenors (unlike the altos) seem to have retained the basic Conn New Wonder II mechanics with minor modifications till the end, and this one certainly isn't that. The location of the low C# especially speaks against it being a Conn; I've never seen a Conn tenor with a low C# linkage like that.

I have only desultorily looked at pictures of Beaugnier made tenors in passing, because I have a Beaugnier made bass; but honestly the mechanics don't really look that much like those either.

It definitely isn't a Yamaha like the ones I've ever seen labeled "Vito".

I wonder if this could be Italian made?

·
38,847 Posts
The Conn 60M or 50M alto , also a shooting star, had keywork similar to this. its tenor equivalent cold be the culprit.

·
38,847 Posts
no but very similar

·
38,847 Posts
If Kim Slava doesn’t know for sure...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,982 Posts
I do not believe this is a Conn-made horn or associated with Conn.

OP is correct, I believe. It's a Vito Kenosha body (OR partly a Kenosha body, such as bellpiece for example) which Yamaha then outfitted with its keywork. There are also Altos which show up w/this sorta hybridization of Kenosha-Yama elements.

The table, for example...is Vito-Kenosha, it is not Conn....because Conn never omitted one of the rollers as Vito Kenosha did. Note the tube to bow connection is screw-tension ring, a Yama detail. While the table is Kenosha, note the stack and side keys are pure Yamaha mechanism. Note the neck profile is not Kenosha-esque, but Yama esque simply with a heftier brace than your typical Yama 21.

I would say this is a Yama tube and perhaps bow attached to a Kenosha bellpiece. As the bellpiece was LH bellkey, Yama used the Kenosha bellkey mechanisms for that part of the horn.

The speculation being these were fabricated right when Vitos switched from being Kenosha-made to being produced by Yama. Body parts, some keywork, and keyguards, etc. from Kenosha were outfitted with keywork and other details made by Yama, before a full 'switch over' to total Japanese fabrication. When they ran outta the Kenosha parts, or when Yama had tooled ans started producing their own bellpieces for this model - the bellkeys moved to the right and the table changed... everything was full-on Japanese-made.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
I do not believe this is a Conn-made horn or associated with Conn.

OP is correct, I believe. It's a Vito Kenosha body (OR partly a Kenosha body, such as bellpiece for example) which Yamaha then outfitted with its keywork. There are also Altos which show up w/this sorta hybridization of Kenosha-Yama elements.

The table, for example...is Vito-Kenosha, it is not Conn....because Conn never omitted one of the rollers as Vito Kenosha did. Note the tube to bow connection is screw-tension ring, a Yama detail. While the table is Kenosha, note the stack and side keys are pure Yamaha mechanism. Note the neck profile is not Kenosha-esque, but Yama esque simply with a heftier brace than your typical Yama 21.

I would say this is a Yama tube and perhaps bow attached to a Kenosha bellpiece. As the bellpiece was LH bellkey, Yama used the Kenosha bellkey mechanisms for that part of the horn.

The speculation being these were fabricated right when Vitos switched from being Kenosha-made to being produced by Yama. Body parts, some keywork, and keyguards, etc. from Kenosha were outfitted with keywork and other details made by Yama, before a full 'switch over' to total Japanese fabrication. When they ran outta the Kenosha parts, or when Yama had tooled ans started producing their own bellpieces for this model - the bellkeys moved to the right and the table changed... everything was full-on Japanese-made.
The speculation sounds feasible. There weren't many records from Yamaha regarding production in these days. I had recently emailed Yamaha directly about my Vito YAS-21, which shares a few traits with other Yamaha models. It took them some time to look into it, but stated that Vito Yamahas were going through a lot of "running changes" at that time. If Vito just gave Yamaha a contract, it would make sense that Vito would want to use the rest of their existing parts inventory. From what I've seen, Yamaha also wasn't afraid to experiment at this time. They were probably learning a ton by manufacturing parts to work with other parts that they had nothing to do with. All in all, this is just an educated guess, and that's about the best you'll get from Yamaha themselves on the matter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts