1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
367 Posts
I came across a post for a Vito tenor (I think Model 35, since it has all left-hand bell keys).

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/msg/d/long-beach-vito-beaugnier-tenor/6986057750.html

I've heard everything from these are junk to these are sleeper pro horns that will put any Selmer to shame. I'm assuming the truth is somewhere in the middle. Any opinions? How about the price? Thanks!
That Vito was the entry level tenor and contrary to the ad was actually probably assembled in Kenosha Wisconsin as most all the entry level saxes were. I marched with one of these around 1970 and they're pretty good saxes. I owned the alto version as my first sax. The stepup/pro "Duke" vito's are very highly regarded and were assembled in France.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I own the alto Model 35 and kinda love it. But from what I can tell this tenor is an entirely different horn. Not really a matched pair, so to speak.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a Beaugnier Vito tenor that is very similar to that one, except the neck brace is different. If you go to see it (or you want to contact the seller) make note of whether the serial number ends with an "A", and also whether it says "Made in France" on it. The "Made in France" horns seem to go for a few bucks more, and the "A" serial-numbered horns were reputedly assembled in Kenosha from parts made in France. Only you can decide if it's worth $1000 to you, but I've not seen them get that price in the used market.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I have had several of these. They are very nice sounding horns. This one is in great condition. I can tell that it has the original pads and they are about 50% of there life. I do note that the lacquer on the neck seems very worn. It is very common for them to have neck pull down. I had a silver one once and think I bought it from JohnInDenver. I regret selling that horn. I really like these horns. I actually prefer it to the Duke where the tenor is concerned. I have a Duke alto that I really like.
With the right neck they are really good horns. This one appears to have the neck that would be the least desirable. Not that it is bad. I will own one again some day and keep a neck for that purpose. This horn is worth a few hundred less than the asking price. This guy is spot on in regards to the necks on these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWQNh9O_G7g

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,919 Posts
Was going by the spreadsheet in the Vito serial numbers thread, and it looks VERY similar to my alto. Same engraving, same lacquer, same left-hand bell keys.
The Model 35 alto was a cheaper version of the Leblanc System alto (Model 100) with the key work that was descendant of the original Leblanc Rationnel. Leblanc made a tenor version of the System saxophone (called Model 120) but Vito never did. Your tenor has 'normal' key work; the Vito 35 and Leblanc 100 and 120 don't.
https://www.saxgourmet.com/the-fabulous-leblanc-saxophones/

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,642 Posts
I've come close to pulling the trigger on this a few times, Mark. Super gorgeous Vito.
Contact me first before pulling the trigger. I recently got a notice from Reverb that it is going to charge the buyer sales tax based on the seller's state tax rate. In WA, that is 6.5%. As I understand it, the buyer, who might be from a state without sales tax, would learn of the $50 added sales tax when purchasing. I don't know if there is a way to get a refund from WA state for an out of state purchaser, but for $50 most probably wouldn't go through the bother of filing. I'm not sure why WA gets the tax $ if the item is easily determined as being shipped out of state.

I haven't heard of Ebay having this policy, so I'm not sure what it is about Reverb. And it seems like "free shipping" (which tends to actually be included in the purchase price) would obviously not be free when the purchaser pays sales tax on that amount. It could be that "free shipping" actually costs the purchaser more. And since when does a state charge sales tax on the purchase of federal USPS postage???

Yes, this is off topic, but I just thought some would like to know that it's the end of the world as we know it.

Mark

·
Registered
95 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts