Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I have a Vito made by Jupiter. Can you tell me what model Jupiter is close to the Vito? I have seen here that this horn is not respected, but darned if I can find any faults. I have a Vito (Yamaha) with which to compare and the Jupiter has a better sound. It does have some linkages that I scratch my head trying to figure out what they do. Basically I'm asking for any input about this horn.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I am interested in all incarnations of Vito horns. Does yours say made in Taiwan on it? Could you share some pics, especially of the odd linkages? Sounding better than the Yamaha Vito makes it interesting...there are those on this forum who say a YTS 23 is all a guy ever needs!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no Taiwan marking that I have seen. I don't know how to post pics here. I agree that a good player can make anything sound good, but since I am not a good player, I try to find some help. The linkages are for the B and C bell keys. The only thing I can think is that while you hold down the C with your ring finger, you can trill the three lowest keys with your pinkie on the Bb key touch. I am wrong about that probably, but I can't think of anything else for it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't know how to post pics here.
If you click on Reply then click Go Advanced you will see Additional Options from there you will see Manage Attachments: click on that it will give you (File Upload Manager) from there you will work it out.
That's how I get it done some may know an easier way.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
I am interested in all incarnations of Vito horns. Does yours say made in Taiwan on it? Could you share some pics, especially of the odd linkages? Sounding better than the Yamaha Vito makes it interesting...there are those on this forum who say a YTS 23 is all a guy ever needs!
First, a disclaimer...I don't own YTS-23.
Second, if you haven't checked it out...watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBDE3U1nA6Y

But, in all fairness, Dave is a top notch player. So, YMMV!

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
I believe I have a Vito made by Jupiter. Can you tell me what model Jupiter is close to the Vito? I have seen here that this horn is not respected, but darned if I can find any faults. I have a Vito (Yamaha) with which to compare and the Jupiter has a better sound. It does have some linkages that I scratch my head trying to figure out what they do. Basically I'm asking for any input about this horn.
Why do you think it's made by Jupiter? I would expect all Jupiter horns to have "Taiwan" on them. The "Vito" label has been applied to a number of different instruments. But I haven't heard of Jupiter as one of them before. Can you post pictures? It could be a Beaugnier in really good clean condition, for example, or a previous-generation Yamaha.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
Why do you think it's made by Jupiter? I would expect all Jupiter horns to have "Taiwan" on them. The "Vito" label has been applied to a number of different instruments. But I haven't heard of Jupiter as one of them before. Can you post pictures? It could be a Beaugnier in really good clean condition, for example, or a previous-generation Yamaha.
Jupiter absolutely stenciled Vito horns. From what I understand, they look a lot like the Yamaha-made Vito horns minus the "Japan" stamp.

·
3,950 Posts
I’m not sure but KHS instruments(Jupiter) possibly have stenciled Vito. No Taiwan ?
Member Milandro May have a answer on this.

Meanwhile here’s a interesting source list to look over.
http://www.doctorsax.biz/vito_ser_nos.htm

MrYikes I do not believe Vito’s are unwanted children here. I think you have personality validated one that plays well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Jupiter Vito's usually have R.O.C stamped on the back......some are ok, many are not- especially the alto's, many of which have unforgivably 'wide' octaves

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. I found what I was looking for on that site. Thanks also to Doctor Sax for that info. What I have is a Vito made by Yamaha, but this one has an articulated C#. Japan is not stamped on the horn. There are other differences from my other Vito by Yamaha. This horn does have a lower, darker tone that I really like and plays easily. Now that I know what it is I will take it to Indy to be serviced. I've had it for over a year and it still plays well, but I know that it could be better. Thanks again all.

·
3,950 Posts
That’s great. Post your findings after the tuneup. Maybe by then you’ll have some luck posting a picture so we can see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts