Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, few days ago i've bought a lot of clarinet-alto clarinet-bass clarinet bodies.
One of them is a nice two piece noblet alto clarinet wooden body complete with posts and springs but without keys.
I was wondering if the vito alto clarinet keywork is compatible with my noblet body...does anybody have any experience with this stuff?
Thanks
Stefano

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
No, at least based on my own Vito/Noblet soprano experience.

The Vito is USA-made (except imported stencilled instruments) while the Noblet is a French-made instrument, thus most certainly manufactured on different tool sets, and so rather certainly of different dimensions.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm not too sure, but I think on BASS they are compatible, or at least very similar. Someone feel free to correct me.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at the pictures they seems to have the same keywork...but before buying a vito to take off the keys i want to be sure they will fit on the noblet...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
It'd be easier to ask for measurements of certain keys, e.g. tube and arm length of the Ab/Eb key etc, on both Noblet and Vito Altos.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Kontra-

The Vito and Leblanc bass clarinets are nearly identical. The Leblanc basses have a more complicated register mechanism (and were also available with double register mechanism) and an alternate Ab/Eb mechanism (fingering a G/D and leave out the middle finger of the right hand), which I really prefer to the standard auxiliary LH Ab/Eb lever on other basses. The mechanism involves an extra tone hole that is not on the Vito. The neck and bell are interchangeable on the standard low Eb models, although the low-Eb-on-body Vitos and low-C Leblancs use a different bell.

I've played a lot of both and never noticed any real difference in tone or feel, but the simplified Vito register mechanism drove me crazy because if you accidentally close the thumb key while fingering a throat Bb (a habit I've been trying to break for years), it plays an A instead. However, I definitely prefer the lightweight plastic body. I've played around with the idea of buying a parts-only leblanc and seeing if the register mechanism could be transplanted on to a vito.

Stefano, sorry, I don't know anything about altos. I don't mean to hijack the thread. Good luck getting your alto put together- if you get it working, you could sell it to someone and buy a proper (bass) clarinet!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
As far as I know the Vito and Noblet alto clarinet mechanisms are identical. Leblanc has a slightly different register mechanism but is otherwise identical as well, methinks. Branding aside, Leblanc "pro" alto and bass clarinets are basically the same as the student instruments, but made of wood and priced three to five times as high. Go figure.....

A single register vent mechanism on almost all the Leblanc alto and bass clarinets is probably the biggest reason that most pro bass clarinetists play Selmer-Paris or Buffet (sometimes even Yamaha) but almost never Leblanc, except for my friend and role model Larry Bocaner (one of the few guys I know who actually sounds decent on a Leblanc bass).

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had a double-register low C Leblanc. With the exception of the low clarion B and C, which were noticeably fuller/less sharp than its single-vent relatives, it still felt and played like a Leblanc. (e.g. bad.)

The upper vent is in the same place as on the single register/student Leblancs, and so there is no improvement in response/tuning/tone of most of the clarion register. As a matter of fact, at one point my horn got bumped and the mechanism damaged so the lower vent wouldn't open. I removed the register bridge lever and played it as a single-register horn for a few months before getting it adjusted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts