Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I've got a Vito Model 35 as my main alto, and am wondering if it's worth upgrading the neck, and where to look. I'd like to get a bit more volume from the horn, and intonation in the lower octave is sharp while intonation in the upper is flat. Not HORRIBLY so, but just annoyingly.

Also, the neck receiver is larger than most, so recommendations that have options are nice too. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
Hi,
in my experience YAMAHA or YANAGISAWA necks work fine on this horns (I once owned one whithout original neck and tried many modern alternatives). They have to be widened considerably as the bore of the neck is the widest (wider than Keilwerth) i have encountered, but that´s an easy fix. It is true that these horns need a bit more air than a smaller designed sax like a Selmer or Buescher or Conn for example...put when you push it, they open up further and further withkeeping the integrity of the sound coherent.

I found that certain mouthpieces can provide intonation issues on Leblanc horns. Best for me worked smaller chamber mouthpieces,
for Jazz a Berg larsen no vintage Link or Meyer for example, or Selmer Soloists...the worst intonation I ever had on a Leblanc was with a large chamber Reso-Chamber.

All my best!
Uwe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts