1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
860 Posts
It look's to be the same as the Yani B6.
Definitely - I got mine here; I checked some details to make sure - apart from the logos, which appear to be genuine. OTOH, many of those details haven't changed since (they're still the same on the B-901s of today), so it might even be an early B-901. I don't know if anyone can make it out clearly in one of the pictures, but if the high F# is missing (which I think is the case - there's only one rod going up all the way - and there's a pearl on the front F), it's a B-6 for sure. Most of the other differences between the two horns are only visible from very close-by (I've owned both at the same time and spent some time examining them side by side - I kept the B-6, by the way!). Don't be fooled by some of the pictures you'll find online - I've poked around a bit and often seen images of the B-991 labeled as showing the B-901. It's a pity that Yanagisawa's own website doesn't have bigger pictures of their horns...

It appears to be in decent shape, though the pads may need some attention (as will some of the felts that are visible). Once set up, you'll have a very responsive horn with a powerful tone - not as huge as some of the american saxes, maybe, but very easy to blow and a lot of fun to play. The B-6 is actually considerably beefier in tone than its younger sibling - but the B-901 is a great horn too, a little less suited for standing out, but a great section instrument! I only let it go to be able to keep the B-6.

The Vito serial numbers are still puzzling me - you should be able to glean the year of production from the numbers, and the only combination that makes sens at first sight seems to be "69" (in 1993, the numbers weren't matching the years anymore), which would fit a B-6; but this exact fact could also mean a stenciled horn from the early 1990's (1990/91), especially taking into account the six-part serial - which would make it a B-901...

EDIT OF THE EDIT: Okay, hgiles, it was you who won! You've got a good horn either way! Man, this was confusing, especially since I wasn't sure if a potential buyer was asking...

M.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't actually win that particular auction. I am working a deal with someone who can get (owns?) the horn.

Yes, the serial number puzzles me too. I couldn't match it up to anything I could find about 'Vito' serial numbers. The horn looks to be more recent than a B6 (lacquer color/condition), but not so recent to be a '93 horn.

·
Registered
860 Posts
ManEast: I agree - I've just had a glimpse on a 900 (when I tried to find information on the B-6, most sources suggested that the models went from B-6 straight to B-901 - well, they were wrong, obviously, or at least I was), and it already had the tear drop shaped front F key, so this has to be a B-6. Can't be precise about the age, though, due to that problem with serials.

Anyhow: The B-6 is a great horn soundwise; you'll have to get to grips with intonation at the low and high ends of the range, but it's absolutely manageable (the right mouthpiece helps a lot).

M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts