Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is a follow up to my vise mounting question- so I got a vise and mounted to my bench. Awesome! But the vise jaws are just a biiiiit too tall for my V-block.

So I can either modify what I've got, or get something else. I don't have the capacity to mill something as big and tough as a V-block, and I don't know anybody locally I could ply with a 6-pack to do it for me.

Anybody tried to the "new" Ferree's v-block? http://www.ferreestools.com/L14_L14A_new_design_V_block.htm

$20 undrilled, not bad. Especially considering I need to place an order there soon anyways.

What is the height of the inside of the V-block jaws (where it mounts on the vise jaws)? My v-block has an inside measurement of 1.25", and I think I need like 1.5". I could probably get Ferree's to make a new one 1.5" for hopefully no extra charge (or maaaybe I could be convinced to pay a few bucks to have them mill it out, but cmon its not that tough if you've got a full machine shop like they do).

Ferree's is closed today due to a power outage (bad storms) so I figured I'd bounce it off you guys first. Any thoughts?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
grab the V-B to the carriage of your lathe, chuck in a 4 flute end mill OD (ideally) larger than what you need to mill away, at least by 2/3rds. (although any end mill you have around would do the job)

Check the X0 and X1 micro and mini mills... totally worth the money, when you're not milling you can use them as a super precise drill press, for replacing tone holes on clarinets/oboes etc... and whatnot.

·
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician, Forum Contributor 2
1,760 Posts
It's not only a lathe/cutting/grinding/milling machine but a happiness machine:
Mini machine with which 1 - "transformers" and you enjoy together create happiness!

·
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hehehe. Glad you guys like that.

I doubt its practical ability, but its kind of an amazing design idea.

Saw this one on votaw: http://votawtool.com/zcom.asp?pg=products&specific=jnomrrgrc

I dunno- seems like its just held in by pressure. Not sure how that would hold up.

I don't have the ability to machine it myself, so I'll be seeing if Ferree's can make me one with that width.

Boy I look forward to next year- got plans to move into a bigger space and I think a mill is going to be on the shopping list.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Oh it opened now. It's the infamous Unimat hobby lathe copy. Actually a pretty decent little machine if you don't abuse it. (not for woodwind repair though, good for models and small really small things)

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
Are the existing jaws on your vice detachable? They are usually screwed on. It shouldn't be too difficult to make a couple of new jaws to fit. They wouldn't need the cross-hatching as you're fitting the v-block over the top.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
Started looking for the mini mills you mentioned and came across this weirdness: http://www.dhgate.com/mini-lathe-6-...illing+and+milling||factory|SListing||2|LHQ#1
The problem with many multitool...Lathe/Mill Mill/lathe setups is that they do many things poorly. We have one at my school, and it makes a better lathe than a mill, but try to change the chuck...what a PITA. Mini mills are great for small stuff in brass and aluminum, but if you are going to do things like mill cast iron v-blocks on any kind of regular basis, then bigger is better. The mass of the machine damps vibration and makes for smoother milling. If you are pressed for space and have to handle moving the mill yourself then the small mini mills from HF and others are managable. I have two of them I purchased for CNC conversions. They weigh a couple of hundred pounds. I can pick them up for loading when necessary.
Matt

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
I have an earlier version of the Votaw magnetic block...identical except it doesn't have the vertical grooves for clearance. Nice feature. Mine works great and gets regular use...mostly for rough-cutting lathe stock...I would use the new one for smaller stuff too, if I had it, but can't justify another $80 into a duplicate (nearly) capability.

Before I had this, I used a machinist's vise and just clamped it into my bench vise after mounting my part. I still do that for smaller bits.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
What (if anything) do you use instead? I've never had any luck getting a long mandrel to stay in a vise without v-jaws.
I use aluminium strip with an L profile, say 3 mm thick, fromk a hardware store. I cut it to vise-jaw lengths, an on the circular saw (with TC tips), I run a groove along it that acts as a V. A coarse round file would do the same thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts