Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, maybe you can help me think of a better solution for my problem:

So pretty soon I'm going out on my own again for repairs (just saxophones- also will be selling some) and I'll be working out of my home, which is a rented townhouse. I've got plenty of space (wow, saying that phrase being so recently removed from NYC just feels weird) but the ONE problem I can't see an obvious solution to is my vise. I've got carpeted floors and I need to figure out how to mount my vise so I can do dentwork.

I use the Votaw stand for my vise.

So far, I can think of a few solutions, but none are as awesome as I'd like. Any ideas?

Next spring, assuming things go well, I'll be moving to a place with either a large garage or an outbuilding, and mounting the vise in concrete will once again be an option. But in the meantime...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,597 Posts
If you can find a seam in the carpet near the location you want it, peel the carpet back and bolt the stand under it. When you get ready to move, just stick the carpet back down :)

·
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha David I was kind of (evil grin style) thinking about that. I had a friend who worked doing carpet installations for a while and he showed me the magic of carpet patches; I was blown away.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Matt, yes, a few options,

one - lift the edge of the carpet and bolt it to the floor in a corner or something like that, then you can lay the carpet back down afterwards. I dont know how the carpet is laid there in the states, do you guys use soft edge or stick down

Two - Plank of wood as suggested above, but on the corners put some small poles about 20cm high, and then you can drop some weight plates on there from a busted gym from a local tip or something

Three, plank of wood large enough to accomodate you standing on it as well, this way your body weight can be utilised as the anchor

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
I have few vices... This is the oldest...

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Well, one way or the other, what ever you do is going to leave a lasting impression in the carpeting.

I'd go with the plywood (3/4"), but you can probably bolt it to the subfloor with some 3/16" or smaller lag screws in each corner. Once you move it, you'll need to do some fluffing, but can probably hide the holes in the carpet if you use reasonably small screws. You will want to try to hit the joists, not just the subfloor with the screws.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
I built a simple but heavy shop workbench using one of the plans floating around the interweb. Just had the lumberyard cut the pieces I needed to length, went home and power-drilled it all together in about 20 minutes. Mounted my HarborFreight vice on that. I can do dent work all day long and it won't budge.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,444 Posts
What about one of those portable work benches. I think Black & Decker make them for under a $100?
Not sure if the built in vise mechanism is a propo for your dent work but it might work well enough to ensure you get your deposit back.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I was taught to mount the vise to the bench on the left of my work area. I've done all my dent work on sax, trumpet, tbone, fhorn, baritone this way. The only time I had need of a floor mounted vise was when I was doing a lot of tuba/sousa overhauls. Different strokes for different folks.

·
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Huh! Thanks for the input, guys. I'll have to check out if I can mount it on my bench. I've got a decently heavy bench, but I feel like when I've got a long rod in there putting my full weight on it I'd tip my bench over. But I've never actually tried because I was so convinced I'd tip it... so I'll give it a go.

Here is the workbench I've got- 171 lbs bare. Great bench, btw.

Also a good idea re: tire. I think I've seen that before.

Wind_Mill, can you post a photo?

Building a simple lathe bench today. I think I'm in love with my new DeWalt mitre saw...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
Either ask the landlord if it'd be okay to remove that ugly filthy beer-stained carpet; the "lasting impression" would be the least of my worries - i'd be more concerned about debris (and the accidentally spilled liquid) accumulating there.

Else - mount the vice to your bench - on its short side, it's far less likely to tilt that way.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
abadcliche said:
Wind_Mill, can you post a photo?
And reveal what a slob I am? Ha! I'll have to clean up....

In the meanwhile, if you do dentwork from your workbench you'd want to have the rod oriented lengthwise/parallel to the bench, not sticking out perpendicular, or it -will- tip.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I built my present work bench about 25 years ago. It's made out of 2X4's and 3/4 plywood. Put together with nuts,bolts, and screws so I could take it apart and move it when I needed to. 14' long by 3' deep. It's heavy, so tipping is not a concern.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts