Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be very strange this year, but my wife has a cunning plan.

Having grown a huge prize pumpkin, she will be making several pies, sending them out to family and we all have special Pie eating family Zoom.

Wishing you all a great TG and hoping you can make the best of it in these times. (Not even thinking about Christmas yet)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
7,594 Posts
Leilani and I will be at home all day, by ourselves

I'm thankful my wife and I get along so well 24/7/365 isn't enough time together

I'm thankful in this time of no gigs, our house is paid off and we have no debts

I'm thankful we're both healthy

I'm thankful there is food in the fridge

I'm thankful we live in a small house on a green half acre in coastal Florida where we won't freeze this winter

Life is just the best way to spend the time of day.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all. I hope you are all happy and healthy and have a great weekend.

Insights and incites by Notes

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,065 Posts
My wife and I are doing something similar! We've gone back to Pennsylvania the last couple years for Thanksgiving to be with her family since she was the first kid in her family to move far from the east coast, but this year we'll be Zooming both our families from our little haven in Austin. And we're just gonna make all our own favorite Thanksgiving treats, leave out what we don't like! I think it's actually going to be quite pleasant. :)

I hope everyone has a happy, healthy, and safe holiday!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,202 Posts
I'm going to the home of my youngest daughter and her husband. I'm the ONLY guest. Depending on time it could be followed by a ride in the semi with the husband.
Granny has to babysit on Friday and the alarm goes off a 4:45 am...

Reactions: jmoen3

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,380 Posts
gonna get a gift certiicate for dinner and a frozen turkey for my mentee and his family. I also bought him a soccer ball for no good reason except he said he likes to play. These days its no longer me. Its the people around me who need whatever. My best K

·
Registered
Conn New Wonder 1 Alto & Conn 10M Tenor
175 Posts
We are having a large get together this year! Some of the cousins are coming and I'm very thankful for the chance to see everyone on such a special holiday.

Also thankful to live in the mostly conservative southeast of the country and don't have to worry about restrictions like in other states.

·
3,920 Posts
Staying in this year. Looking forward to a frozen TV turkey dinner. B movies with wife & daughter. No 260 mile round trip to San Diego and back. That’s like driving from Los Angeles to Las Vegas for dinner.

Reactions: jmoen3

·
Registered
880 Posts
Going to be very strange this year, but my wife has a cunning plan.

Having grown a huge prize pumpkin, she will be making several pies, sending them out to family and we all have special Pie eating family Zoom.

Wishing you all a great TG and hoping you can make the best of it in these times. (Not even thinking about Christmas yet)
Sounds wonderful, have a happy Thanksgiving!

P.S.: I didn't realize you celebrated Thanksgiving, are you currently in the US?

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,202 Posts
I was curious about PT's post also. He seems to hail from Antarctica currently.
Apparently they have a traditional TG.

A bit more seriously, the English have had a traditional Harvest celebration going since the 1840s.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also
Sounds wonderful, have a happy Thanksgiving!

P.S.: I didn't realize you celebrated Thanksgiving, are you currently in the US?
No but all my family is mostly US. My son who is a US citizen is stuck in VA

·
3,920 Posts
Also

No but all my family is mostly US. My son who is a US citizen is stuck in VA
if I remember correctly your wife is from some weird country called Texas.
Depending on how stuck your son is. There is a thread on removing stuck parts. PB blaster and pliers have been recommended.

Somehow the holidays don’t feel like holidays this year. Almost like my seasonal habits are out of whack. I guess it’s a Covid thing.
It’s perfectly clear and sunny in Los Angeles today 80°. Winter ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,807 Posts
In the UK, they celebrate Thanksgiving to give thanks for kicking all the Puritans out and sending them over here. Honestly, it was a good move on their part!
Well, in that case we in the NL should have a say too since not only because part of the Pilgrims lived in Holland for a long time, but the whole tradition of thanksgiving seems to have its roots in the tradition of Leiden where they lived of celebrating the chasing of the Spaniards

the contacts between the NL and the new world were substantial in many ways.

Despite being born in Italy and naturalized in the NL over 30 years ago, I may have an ancestor or two among the Dutch settlers (complicated story!) which had come to America (from Recife in Brazil) to settle first in Rhode Island and then in New Amsterdam, although they weren’t puritans but a different kettle o'fish.

Reactions: HeavyWeather77

·
2,065 Posts
You're absolutely right, Milandro, and the link between the Netherlands and the USA is very strong and clear in New York City, where thousands of locations are derived from Dutch names. Brooklyn and Stuyvesant Town, for starters, plus its original name, New Amsterdam. Of course, my Dutch friends in NYC are about as un-Puritan as anyone I've ever met, and I'd be well in favor of the States ditching some lingering Puritan tendencies in favor of Dutch ones, any day.

Two of my favorite music-people in New York -- pianist Jorn Swart and drummer Phillippe Lemm -- are Dutch, and they can hang with the best players there easily. Wonderful human beings, too. The Dutch influence continues!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,807 Posts
Oh yes, many American words too are derived from Dutch rather than English and many president spoke Dutch and one, van Buren , his mother toungue was Dutch.

My probable ancestors ( related to me very far away) were one or two in a group of 23 and came there at the time of Stuyvesant and they were Dutch but it was a complicated story...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts