Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dislike the recent trend of calling a pre-weathered finish "vintage". They should call it "pre-aged" or something -- there's nothing vintage about it. New vintage horns were just as shiny as today's horns. The ones that come from the factory looking old are no more vintage than pre-ripped jeans, and deserve no more credibility for their ragged look.

What do I think deserves the name "vintage"? How about a finish that used to be common but isn't any more, like burnished silver or gold, perhaps with a gold or "rose gold" (actually copper) bell wash.

I decided to "vintify"* my new Aquilasax C-mel with a copper bell wash. It's not permanent, it will rub out with a little bit of polishing compound and the nickel beneath will be intact.

*If this becomes a new marketing buzzword, I want credit!

·
SOTW Pragmatist
2,900 Posts
Bare brass is ugly as poo when it gets very tarnished. Yeah, I said it. Wax works well.

·
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bare brass is ugly as poo when it gets very tarnished. Yeah, I said it. Wax works well.
Unmaintained silver plate is ugly too, and lacquer eventually ends up being bare brass or close to it. The only things that hold up well without effort are gold-over-silver (expensive!) and nickel. I've seen some 100 year old nickel-plated horns that are clearly antiques by their design (double octave keys, not bis-Bb, no 1+1 Bb, no articulated G#, and no low Bb) but because they are nickel plated, they are still in amazing condition. I know it's "slippery", and it had a reputation for being used only on cheap horns. I just don't understand why. It really does hold a shine amazingly well. It's a lot like chrome, but not quite as blue and easier to work with. The down side is similar to having a shiny black car. Every single fingerprint shows, and it's nearly impossible to get rid of all of them.

·
Banned
1,726 Posts
A bit silly really. Why not just buy a decent vintage, that plays great.

I've already been vintified myself. And had been trying to de-vintify myself recently. Been looking a bit dated :shock: Maybe that's another thread entirely.

·
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Or you just get a vintaged Buescher with the GW bell....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3749632627/
I have a vintage Buescher C-mel, and it is absolutely the best-sounding sax I own. It is almost identical to the one in your link, though older and a lot less minty (S/N 49xxx, dating to c. 1919), and if it had a bell wash it is long gone. It is currently in the hands of Lance Burton at Martin Mods, so I hope the gold solution is still good when it gets back. If so, it'll get the gold wash it probably had a long time ago.

I thought maybe I had invented the word "vintified", but apparently not. Since Theo seems to be using it to describe the very thing I'm railing against (when it's called "vintage"), I stake no claim to coining the term. I would be satisfied if EVERYONE started calling their pre-aged finishes "vintified". It's comprehensible, yet clearly distinct from "vintage".

That Parvati looks more than vintage, it looks like it was discovered on the bottom of the Mediterranean Sea in the wreck where the Antikythera mechanism was found! I bet it's a monster player though.

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
I think its okay that if its called a vintage finish, but never a vintage horn.

As far looking like poo I personally think it is in the eye of the beholder.

IMO the new brute finish by Cannonball and the Warrior finish by LA sax is awesome!

I own two bare brass saxes and I enjoy seeing the bare metal and the spots that are darkening. I never have to worry about lacquer wear and getting it to shine like a gold lacquered horn is a breeze.

Bare brass horns are not for everybody.

B:cool:

·
1,127 Posts
The thing that has always bothered me are the 'vintage finish' Selmers that have the cheap brushed look. A ton of people seem to be going this route and think its just the most amazing thing in the world...I've never seen any vintage sax that looked like it was cheaply brushed with paint either as the original finish or after it ages.

It always amuses me that people want a sax that looks like player X's sax, but when given the chance to own the same vintage model they think the keywork is inferior so they pass.

Although when it comes to 'vintage finishes' I do have to say that I like the look of 'vintage dark lacquer' that Macsax offers. Unlike the faux finishes, this one actually does look like several saxes I have with original lacquer that have aged gracefully.

·
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the copper finish on the bell interior personally.:)
I like the copper finish PERIOD! B:cool:
I do too, and I just did the key guards, thumb hook, and bell brace (except for the alt-F# guard which is soldered on). That's as much as I'm willing to disassemble though. I expect the thumb hook copper is going to wear away in fairly short order, and I won't replace it, but I wanted to see how it holds up to handling.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Personally I couldn't care less. Everyone knows what the advertisers mean. For me it's a non-issue.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I wonder if vintage smells will come into fashion. You know, little spray bottle. Easiest way to give your new horn some of that vintage cred.

I can see it now. You can choose a New Wonder II from the 30's, or how about the floating musk from a neglected Big B Tenor?

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
I like the copper finish on the bell interior personally.:)
I like the copper finish PERIOD! B:cool:
I do too, and I just did the key guards, thumb hook, and bell brace (except for the alt-F# guard which is soldered on). That's as much as I'm willing to disassemble though. I expect the thumb hook copper is going to wear away in fairly short order, and I won't replace it, but I wanted to see how it holds up to handling.

Hey Mal is that a PF Flier Tenor? I like the underslung neck. Wonder if I could get one for a T.K. Melody alto.

B:cool:

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,070 Posts
I wonder if vintage smells will come into fashion. You know, little spray bottle. Easiest way to give your new horn some of that vintage cred.

I can see it now. You can choose a New Wonder II from the 30's, or how about the floating musk from a neglected Big B Tenor?
That is just wrong, wrong I tell ya'. LOL

·
1,127 Posts

I can scrape the green crud out of my TT alto and bottle it for you for the low low introductory price of $25.

·
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Mal is that a PF Flier Tenor? I like the underslung neck. Wonder if I could get one for a T.K. Melody alto.
It's a new Aquilasax C-melody. Since the octave pip is on top like most necks, and the triggering mechanism direction is also the same as most necks, you could retrofit just about any neck to this style of key or use such a neck on most horns. It doesn't really matter much, since the business end is still on top where it can get whacked around. Admittedly the hinge is far less likely to get crammed into the neck, but the down side is that the neck can only be lightly braced, and in some circumstances a normal octave key could deflect a blow that would otherwise leave a dent.

This seems to be the norm on late-model Chinese-made instruments. My straight soprano has two necks (one slightly curved, one not) and they're both built this way too.

It's not really better or worse, just different. It looks cool though!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts