Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's incredible the number of times I am seeing instruments, in general, being referred to as being "Vintage". I have my own interpretation of its meaning, that being, something that is very old. ie pre 1960's. No doubt others have their own interpretation of the meaning of the Vintage word as well. I just think it is being over used and used where it should not be. What is your interpretation...without going to Webster's!!:argue3::wink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008,
3,924 Posts
Personally I laugh when I see a current production horn is marketed as 'vintage'. If it's not been in production for many years I usually don't mind.

Doesn't change whether or not I am buying a horn though!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,471 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I think here in BC cars can get vintage plates or vintage insurance plans when they are 25 years or older. That's too young imo to be considered vintage. But I'd say 40.

The term vintage really just means of a certain era. It's a 70's vintage, a 60's vintage, so on and so forth.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I think in general usage, the term "Vintage" implies over 30 years old, "Antique" implies over 100.

For something specific like saxophones, I tend to interpret "vintage" as meaning older (archaic or non-'modern') design horns with elements such as in-line tone holes, forked Eb, etc. which are no longer found on 'modern' design horns; rather than a specific number of years.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Like a '70's US Bundy may technically be "vintage"...and a sax, but it's not a "vintage sax".

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,470 Posts
In my mind, not knowing a heck of a lot more than what I've picked up here over the last few years, anything designed before the Mark VI would be vintage. As I understand it the Mark VI was the instrument that changed the layout of the pinky keys from a flat table to something very different where the keys fit the ergonomics of actual human anatomy. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'd say that was a major leap forward in the technology of saxophone design. That and moving the mechanics on the right side of the instrument toward the middle so they don't rub against the clothing of the player. So anything before those changes would be considered "vintage" and anything after would be considered "modern". Tell me that makes any sense.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts