Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone
ive been playing alto for about 7 years, im a jazz player.
recently though im deciding to switch to tenor,
I know this will be a difficult change for me since as a gigging musician i will need to transpose my entire repertoire of melodies and changes to Bb, but i believe its for the best considering all my favorite musicians that i try to emulate are tenor players.
I play on a 1950 conn 6m and would like a tenor with similar response.
as far as sound goes think coltrane, bergonzi. Adarker sound with projection,
mouthpiece and other setup suggestion would be greatly appreciated as well.
thanks in advance

david

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Not that I'm a fan, but is there something wrong with a 10M from your perspective?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
of course not!
I loved the sound Bergonzi got with them, but they are a little over my budget for a decent one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
David,

best bet would be to connect with a seller who has a variety of vintage tenors and mouthpieces...... spend a few hours playing them switching mouthpieces and reeds and playing them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know anyone in my area who specializes in vintage horns and has a large selection, or else that would have been my first option without forethought,

does anyone have experience with martin indianas??

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts
If a 10M is a little over your budget, what is your budget?

A vintage horn, unless you know for sure it's in great playable condition, will probably need some work so you need to budget for that.

A Martin Indiana is a good horn. They're going for fairly low prices these days, if you can find one in good playable condition. If it was me, I'd be looking for a The Martin tenor. But then, that's who I am ...

Also consider Bueschers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,992 Posts
Hi Dave.

If you like the 10M tone...you should check out the usa-made 16M's, or the earlier versions of these which were the pre'57 Pan Americans.

I have recently finished rehabbing two usa-made 16M's and a friend and I were playing them side-by-side a couple of 50's 10M's....and...no, the tone isn't identical...but it's pretty damn close, really. I have one I will be selling shortly.

Martins are awesome...BUT...Martins are edgier than old Conns...and they don't quite have the dark, bottom overtones that Conns do. Of the big american vintage makers, Martins are the punchiest and the growliest of 'em. That's why folks love 'em for blues and rock bands. They really pop. But if you are looking for a big, round darkness, maybe not your best choice.

If you have in the vicinity of $500-800 to spend...I'd suggest the 16M's...King Clevelands....maybe a nice Keilwerth or Kohlert stencil...a Beaugnier-made Vito or Noblet.....or a Holton 241, which were really big ol' soundin' Tenors.

Another consideration would be a late-model 10M, from the 60's. No Naked Lady, and the keyguards and bellbrace were redesigned, and the octave key became underslung....but the body tube was the same design as all other 10M's and they can really kick some butt. Artstove (a member here) has one which he has been sorta trying to sell for a while....maybe you should PM him.

I saw that horn....it's a good one...and they usually go for under $850 in good playing shape.

Bueschers, too, yeah...as MartinMan says. These days, you can nab a pre-selmer Aristocrat for around $700-800 pretty easily.

I think if you go dark to edgy, sonically, in the big ol' american Tenor realm...it looks like Conn-Holton-Buescher-King-Martin...in that order. Now mind you, Martins still have a good bottom to them, particularly by contemporary standards.

I have some of the above here as well, in various forms of disassembly at the moment...but you are welcome to check my website and listen to some vidfiles, just for comparison sake. Not pushing a sale...just referring you to some sounds....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,597 Posts
I sold my '67 10M, but I just saw someone offer a similar '60s one on here for $750 w/shipping. Definitely a nice big dark sound, very solidly built. I'll see if I can find the thread.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
I dont know anyone in my area who specializes in vintage horns and has a large selection, or else that would have been my first option without forethought,

does anyone have experience with martin indianas??
Well.... since we don't know where you live we can't help. More info? City and State? USA?

·
2,597 Posts
I remember a mention of someplace in LA in a thread, that seemed to have lots of vintage saxes, but I don't recall the name.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Maybe look into a 1920's - 1930's Conn NW or NW II model. They're often a little cheaper than 10M's and play as well, maybe even better than a 10M....

·
17,992 Posts
Those are cool old horns !.... but you sorta have to "find" the intonation on 'em. But they can be had for hella cheap (might have to add a front F in some cases).

Given the choice, I would still opt for a slightly later Pan American or an early Director, as opposed to a Chu or earlier.....if you are stayin' in the Conn ballpark.

·
2,597 Posts
OK, you did ! So, what are you using for a Tenor these days ?
My main horn is a well-used Dolnet Bel Air (guesstimate vintage '59) that I bought from Chiefs_55 on here, and my backup is a King Cleveland I got off eBay and had Eric Drake overhaul. (It ended up as a fairly expensive Cleveland.) I like the Cleveland sound, but I find the keywork on the Dolnet to be much faster/easier for me. (And the Dolnet has a very nice sound, too.)

·
17,992 Posts

·
2,597 Posts
The buy-it-now price on the 10M ($700) is what I got for my '67, and basically the same as what MyMartinTenor is asking for his ($750 inc./shipping).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,021 Posts
BIN price $700? If I didn't already have 2 tenors that I like, I'd be tempted. Somebody alert all those other threads about tenors under $1000.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts