Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been some discussion of equipment providing a 'vintage' sound. Although I understand that most mean a tone quality of pre-1960 jazz players, I find this odd at times. Something like - I play a VI with a Link for that 'vintage' sound.

It has always been my thought that tone and style (note choice, phrasing, articulation etc..) are not easily seperated. I guess when I hear someone playing beautiful phrases with a dark sound discribed as 'vintage' or old sounding - I would say it's just another tonal option. I'm also not sure that equipment (although important) is the real force behind the concept.

I guess at some point - Smooth Jazz will become "vintage." I not sure where I'm going with this thread - just something I've been thinking about as my tonal conept seems to be heading into the 'vintage' category.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
There has been some discussion of equipment providing a 'vintage' sound.
Meaningless marketing hype, usually perpetrated by those who buy into it.

'Old school' is an oft used descriptor for 'vintage' sound/ tone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
Even modern jazz is old school when you consider that the genre was fully evolved over 40 years ago.

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
My pet peeve is guys that have an "old" (tubby, too dark, imprecise articulation, lazy time feel, weird altissimo) sound playing modern ideas. It just makes them sound like they are making bad note choices.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,552 Posts
I usually think of the vintage/old school sound as more defined in the vibrato than the tone. Prez, Hawkins, etc. had a wider vibrato; at least to my ear.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,107 Posts
Faster, too. Rapid vibrato is alien to many young players, even good ones. I think vibrato has faded from use in uptempo jazz entirely; then when used in ballads, it's slow vibrato without much pitch change ("wow").

whaler overstates the point when he says older-style players have lazy time. What it is, really, is not quite so metronomic.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,870 Posts

This is what I call a vintage style and sound

1 - 8 of 8 Posts