Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2013
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By chance I happened to have these 3 pieces all at once and guess what- they are all made from the same blanks!
The MeYer L and Buffet have squeeze type throats but a large chamber too.
It was and still is a small world....

Left to right NY Meyer, Buffet, Slant Link.

·
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to add to the mayhem- each of the manufactures' used different blanks over the years as well as these, so not ALL Slant Links will look like this one, nor do the Meyers or Buffets....

·
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently aquired an old Woodwind Company Steel Ebonite and it is also of the same blank as these with a longer window, round throat. Small tip (.47) opening but an incredibly warm sound.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That's incredible! :) I know that a lot of guys in the 90's used Babbitt banks to create some great pieces. It makes perfect sense to me. Thanks, Nora, for the very cool perspective.

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
They have dramatically different interiors, and so they're not the same blank. Very interesting to see a small chamber short shank Meyer soprano, but they are all different blanks. Otto Link wouldn't have stayed in business very long if they were digging out pea-shooter chambers into large chambers, on the least played saxophone mouthpieces of the time. Really. They are similar looking on the exterior, maybe even sourced from the same company (Chedeville), but one thing is for sure - they are not the same blank. Otherwise they would be identical inside and out. Considering it's the inside dimensions that really decide the timbre of the pieces - they are far from the same blank.

I have a bunch of Riffault tenor blanks, identical in the outside, dramatically different on the inside. Some are like old Links, Meyers, Soloists, and LTs, same company? Yes... Different models? Yes... Same blank? No... It's important to make that distinction, otherwise sooner or later we'll have every Tom Dick and Harry selling any stock WWCO/Chedeville soprano piece as a "Slant-Link blank!!!", even though the dimensions are far from similar.

It's like saying that a Bosch starter motor for a 12cylinder Ferrari is the same as the one for the 4-cylinder Fiat because they look the same on the outside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts