Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an old soprano sax at a yard sale and I'm wondering if somebody out there might be familiar with it and know if it's worth buying. Of course I can't find the paper I wrote the numbers on but... It was a silver curved soprano horn that clearly said "Commonwealth" on the bell. I couldn't see any other names on it. It clearly said 1915 on the back of the horn where the serial number and a model number (lost sorry) and an S and a L (I think). The keys all worked cleanly but it definitely needs new pads. The seller was asking $90. Would it be worth it as an investment or a keeper?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
For $90 it would make a nice "wall hanger" if nothing else. If it is all there mechanically it is a good buy nomatter who the maker which was most likely conn or buescher.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,106 Posts
1915 and L mean a Conn stencil make. I'd say go get it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Agree with paulwl. Also, the "S" (for soprano) is the way Conn marked their various saxophones in that era. The "L" means low-pitch, a gotta-have. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,951 Posts
Even if it needs a $700 overhaul, it'd still be a good deal.

Of course, as an alternative....you could buy it...then sell it to me for $180...and you'd make a hella profit !!!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the second vintage sax I've come across in the last month (the other was a Beuscher 400 TH&C alto I bought) and my wife will probably kill me if I keep it but maybe I can make it an investment.
How much should I expect to pay for new pads?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,951 Posts
I dunno exactly what tech prices are like in your area...but figure if you really wanna get the horn in great shape...shooting the works with an overhaul (cleaning, swedging, body work, new pads/corks/felts, etc.)...would run between $600-800.

A repad and cleaning might run $100-150 less. A "triage" repair (or as Bill Bua calls it, a M*A*S*H repair) where you just have the tech replace only the pads which aren't sealing and do some regulating and maybe dent work (i.e. do just enough work to get the horn to play up and down w/o fighting it)....maybe $300 or so.

Again...prices vary by locality. Around here, we'd have to add $300-400 to all of those prices....but in most normal places, it's more along the lines of above. Also, this is assuming nothing's horribly wrong with the horn....

When you get it, post a pic....

In tip-top shape, these CAN fetch $1000 fairly easily, even in the current market....or 'new world market' as I like to say.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
This is the second vintage sax I've come across in the last month (the other was a Beuscher 400 TH&C alto I bought) and my wife will probably kill me if I keep it but maybe I can make it an investment.
How much should I expect to pay for new pads?
My Beaufort American curved soprano (Conn stencil) I had my tech do a premium overhaul (with Roo Pads), and it ran $600. The sax was given to me as a wedding gift (best gift ever!). Best soprano I've owned, and the top 3 of what I've played (I've played SA80II & III, Yani 991, 992, 9902, EM Winston, Barone, P. Muariat, as well as my Conn stencil).

Out those, the top 3 are: Yani sterling silver (9902?); P. Muariat curved; and my Beaufort American!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great info. Sounds like I need to see if I can still get this little beastie. I'll post pictures if I buy it. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I found an old soprano sax at a yard sale and I'm wondering if somebody out there might be familiar with it and know if it's worth buying. Of course I can't find the paper I wrote the numbers on but... It was a silver curved soprano horn that clearly said "Commonwealth" on the bell. I couldn't see any other names on it. It clearly said 1915 on the back of the horn where the serial number and a model number (lost sorry) and an S and a L (I think). The keys all worked cleanly but it definitely needs new pads. The seller was asking $90. Would it be worth it as an investment or a keeper?
Lucky you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts