Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone guide me it the direction of vintage Selmer soprano's? I would like to know the preferred MK VI and or Balanced Action soprano's or the preferred serial numbers.

·
Banned
481 Posts
Michael Ward said:
I like late V1's and play a very late one. I've had about six and they varied a lot like all Mark V1's. All you can do is try a few, make sure they're set up and choose one you like. The best one I had was a late seventies one. Wish I'd kept it.I had a couple that didn't play well even after set up.
DITTO

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I also agree with Michael. I've never played a VI I liked, but I realize others love 'em. I don't think the serial-number-range method for selecting one is valid.

A friend bought a BA soprano a few years ago and loved it - cost him, though. DAVE

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yeah -- Serial #'s don't mean anything --- the best horn I've ever played was a non original gold plated 225,xxx mark vi alto -- I had the $ to buy it but for some reason I bought an sba instead ( a bad playing one ) . --- I still regret it and if I had the chance I would give up both of my 5 digit mark vi's for that horn .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
I have a 1977 VI which I like more and more everyday. I've heard that after 250,xxx they get more consistent but who knows?:?

SBA Sopranos sell for BIG BUCKS and you'd have to be willing to buy a few to get one you like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts