Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,126 Posts
the ones I've had/have didn't play that well straight up.
I've got a C* refaced to a D with the chamber altered also that I love, but I've also got an original C* that I picked up to see how I liked it as is and I find it unresponsive.
I would sooner get a new S-80 D.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
I also prefer the S-80. I have a vintage short shank and the modern S-80 just has more guts and I find it easier to play. Also the price for a used S-80 is about one third the current bid on the ebay Soloist. I jsut sold a mint C** S-80 for $65 for reference.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Oh well, "quot homines, tot sententiae". :bluewink:

I like the old soloists and find them very versatile. I have one that's been opened up and an original D. The D is the one I keep coming back to. I find I can get a good response for (fairly undemanding) classical and (slightly more demanding) jazz with that mouthpiece. It's pretty dark and centred but that's the sound I tend to like anyway.

Honestly, I think this is the kind of thing where you have to try for yourself. People will have very divergent opinions. If everyone thought a soloist was great everyone would be playing them.

Given the money involved I'd be inclined to try out an old soloist in a shop to see if it's on the right lines. I suppose if you jump for something on ebay the resale value (if it's not right) would be pretty good - that's another way to look at it.

What are you playing now?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well I have been playing a beechler beelite 8 for the last couple of years, and I bought a new conn 6m, which is very fussy in the mouthpiece department.
so I started trying some pieces out, with negative results. the one day i look into my box of sax stuff and notice I have my old S-80 C* I throw it on with an FL pure brass lig and voila! sounds great,a little on the quieter side and not as round of a sound but still great! I played on the piece for a week maybe only to wake up and see my boxer dog had eaten half of it one morning. Im basically looking for something that plays like a C* but with more edge,that is why i was asking about the vintage soloists.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,542 Posts
Everyone wants to spend a fortune on these in larger original condition. Id rather play the ones I reface anytime. They can be killer pieces. So can the Scroll shank alto pieces when they are worked on well. Original when it comes to any mass produced piece is overrated.

I know that goes against the grain of some peoples believes but there it stands.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts