Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
This is an Alfonso Rampone horn, different company from R&C.
there’s some discussion in this thread that could be useful.

In terms of value, probably not high but doesn’t mean it’s not a good player. Conventional wisdom has now become that Italian horns before the current Boutique Era (R&C, Borgani Jubilee) were not great, though I see that the opinions of those who have actually played them and in some cases worked on and rebuilt many of them are more nuanced. However I haven’t seen much written about pretty early horns like this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,184 Posts
I have to correct @Somes, this is not an Alfonso Rampone

The A. Rampone in question is AGOSTINO Rampone who with Giovanbattista Cazzani founded Rampone & Cazzani, for several years this was their logo
In the oval cartouche says Ditte Riunite A.Rampone B. Cazzani ( United companies) .

Probably made in the ’20

The value is very relative and rather subjective, there isn’t much in the maner of a market and a numner of relevant sales to base this upon, make sure the sax is in LP (low Pitch) m it is a short range alto ( to Low B) and may have double octave key. Unless you are a collector I can’t see how and why would this be of interest.

the more sought model would have been the later “ Solista”

·
Registered
596 Posts
i stand corrected, thanks I should have read the fine print....
I have to correct @Somes, this is not an Alfonso Rampone

The A. Rampone in question is AGOSTINO Rampone who with Giovanbattista Cazzani founded Rampone & Cazzani, for several years this was their logo
In the oval cartouche says Ditte Riunite A.Rampone B. Cazzani ( United companies) .

Probably made in the ’20

The value is very relative and rather subjective, there isn’t much in the maner of a market and a numner of relevant sales to base this upon, make sure the sax is in LP (low Pitch) m it is a short range alto ( to Low B) and may have double octave key. Unless you are a collector I can’t see how and why would this be of interest.

the more sought model would have been the later “ Solista”

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I can't see any low pitch or high pitch marking and I'm a pro player from Melb Australia and it played not only in tune but absolutely beautifully too. The tone is very rich , the horn feels extremely well made and robust. It would be hard to bend the rods or key cups even if you tried. The Silver Plate is almost perfect and there is not a scratch or dent and it seems to have the original white factory pads . It was gifted to me and being such an early horn without bottom Bflat or Bis key it's not something I'd play regularly so I might just list it on eBay.com. As I said it was free but a 100 yr old horn , so beautifully made in such astonishing condition must be worth something to a collector I suppose ? It's a delightful little horn. Maybe somebody wants it so I think I'll just put it to auction. I don't care how much it goes for as long as it goes to someone who wants it . Thanks for the replies fellas. I did notice the Cazzani at the bottom over the oval so thanks for clearing that up between the two of you. Appreciate you both for the feedback . Cheers Ash

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,184 Posts
it would not be marked with HP or LP Italian horns never were.

The value of anything like this , not based on a market price (because there isn’t a market) is established when you find someone to sell, its use is very limited so the value is purely collector's

1 - 7 of 7 Posts