Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I play on a metal Otto Link 7* tenor for the last few years. And I am quite happy with my sound and the way it plays.
Now fellow sax players around me tell me that it´s a shame I do not have a Vintage Link.

I never had the change to actually play on a vintage one, and on Ebay they seem to go for quite a lot of money!
Can anyone tell me their experience/ thoughts on this matter?

Regards!

·
Registered
361 Posts
If you like what you got, why change it? While they think it's a shame you don't have a vintage, they are not offering to buy it for you either.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
Just because it's vintage is no guarantee it's good. Over the years I played on several "vintage" links that simply sucked, the old ones had just as many inconsistencies as newer ones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Too often the person behind the sax doesnt get enough of the credit for the sound coming out of it.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
In my humble opinion, honestly, I don't think there is a need for you to get a vintage Link! The modern regular Super Tonemaster metal Links are still really great mouthpieces, and sometimes they need a little refacing work, but overall I think they're really great. The NY models are OK too, but I think I still like the regular STM's better.
I have gotten to play a few vintage Otto Links, and although they are good too, I don't think they are that much better than the modern regular Super Tonemasters. They are a little different, and generally they are slightly brighter (to me) if they are Florida-type Links. I've also played a few copies of metal Link-style mouthpieces, and I still think the modern ones hold their own against all of them, especially if they are refaced and "evened out" in their facing parameters.
I do think that Otto Link doesn't spend a whole lot of time making each one really nice before it leaves their factory, so certain ones may play better than others in a batch of them, but you can get someone who refaces mouthpieces to check the facing and change it to be more even if need be.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
You are showing the first symptoms of a disease that afflicts many of us. To answer your question, my advice would be to judge a mouthpiece on it's merits (and it's price) and not necessarily it's vintage.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A refaced modern Link works just fine.
About refacing, is it useful to have it refaced? I don´t really need it more open a the tip.
If i´m right metal Link´s aren´t always spot on after leaving the factory, so is it a good idea to have it done by an expert?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Having a modern Link refaced is a good thing to do. As you say they aren't consistently made today, and a refacer will make the necessary modifications to make it play as it should. They will either leave the tip opening as it is, or increase/decrease it as you want.
Shotgun's comment above "One of these days ..." is a link to Morgan Fry's website. He's a refacer and mouthpiece maker in the UK. I've had several modern links refaced by him and his work is superb. He's a great guy to deal with, and will make your Link sing. He also makes a piece called a Floridated Link, which I play and love, have a look at his site.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The modern Vintage metal is really dark. Its fine if that is what your after. Otherwise get the STM refaced.
Mine can still play fairly bright...

·
Administrator
17,277 Posts
Besides being an intermediate level tenor player I like to collect Vintage Otto Link mouthpieces. Currently I have one or more examples of all the (metal) types produced by Otto Link between 1930 and now. Not that I'm in desperate search for a piece (I have already some great pieces), I just like to compare and collect them.

Play testing them gives differences in sound. I personally prefer Florida no USA models, they are a bit brigther compared to present Links and have more core in the tone (IMO). But, as mentioned already in this thread, not all of them are good.

If you would like to hear the differences in some of my pieces: I posted here on SOTW and on YouTube a sound clip of a Blues played on 12 different MPC's (mostly vintage Otto Links). I'm planning to create another one, because I have some more types then used in that comparison (also a current STM 7* like yours).

Here you find the link to the thread and the YouTube video's:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...mouthpieces)&p=1612987&viewfull=1#post1612987

My main advice to you would be: if you like your current piece, don't bother too much finding another one and try to put your energy in getting better on your present piece instead of looking for another.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice mouthpiece collection Mrpeebee (Collecting Vintage Otto Links is an expensive hobby!) and nice comparisson video! Althougt I didnt notice a great difference between them...
Thanx!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
If one's after vintage links, the best money you can spend is getting Sakshama to fix you with your "ultimate" link. His work and craftsmanship is outstanding. Just played one of his lost wax floridas that a customer of mine got, and we a/b/c'd with 2 superb floridas I have, and I'm amazed at how he nailed the general conception of FLA's and kind of took it up a notch (supreme facing and tip/rollover(chamber shaping, way more human hand hours than what link used to put on these)

·
Administrator
17,277 Posts
Nice mouthpiece collection Mrpeebee (Collecting Vintage Otto Links is an expensive hobby!) and nice comparisson video! Althougt I didnt notice a great difference between them...
Thanx!
Thanks for listening. Indeed an expensive hobby, but most of those pieces keep their value, so IMO a good investment too :bluewink:! Indeed most sound quite simular, but recording doesn't make all differences clear. Things like volume, feeling of the piece, resistance and response are other things that can differ greatly and that you only experience during playing.

·
Registered
783 Posts
In my humble opinion, honestly, I don't think there is a need for you to get a vintage Link! The modern regular Super Tonemaster metal Links are still really great mouthpieces, and sometimes they need a little refacing work, but overall I think they're really great...
This is a great post, especially coming from a saxophonist of such a high caliber.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts