Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
17,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Besides being an intermediate level tenor player I like to collect Vintage Otto Link mouthpieces. Currently I have one or more examples of all the (metal) types produced by Otto Link between 1930 and now.

I recently recorded a simple blues tune (Honky Tonk) with most of my mouthpieces. Out of the different takes I copied some parts of my solo's and compiled one long track of almost 20 minutes out of that (good way to learn Audacity!). This compilation track contains 44 chorusses played with 12 (!) different mouthpieces. Most MPC's are Vintage metal Otto Links, except one, which is a cheap Chinese metal MPC (sounding well and costing about 10% of a Vintage Link!). Almost all takes are recorded with a Selmer SBA tenor of 1952 and La Voz medium reeds. For some tracks I used plastic Fibracell 3 or 3,5.

My main reason for recording was to sort out the differences in sound and to help me to choose my main mouthpiece(s). Recording and listening back helps, because you hear then different things then during playing.

Below you find two tables with information of the "Vintage Otto Link Mouthpiece Comparison Blues" recording:
- Table 1: Track, time-range, number of solo chorusses per MPC and MPC indication ID's (B to N).
- Table 2: List of used MPC's with an identification number in front (1 to 12), sorted by age.

Couldn't post the complete MP3 track in one file on SoundClick (too big!), had to split it into two parts.
See below links to my "Vintage Otto Link Comparison Blues" part 1 and part 2:
- Part 1: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10259932
- Part 2: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10259916

I would appreciate if some of you could find the time (and patience!) to listen to these long MPC compilation tracks!

Questions:
1. Can you identify the correct recording sequence of the 12 mouthpieces and connect the MPC ID's to numbers (f.i. MPC X=6, Y=11, etc...)?
2. What is your top 3 of these mouthpieces (and why)?
3. Who can identify the Chinese MPC? (EDIT: Q3 added after suggestion of zorrosg)

Let's see who gets the highest score out of it!

After a week or so I will publish the correct sequence of the used mouthpieces.
Have fun (I had it during recording and compilation)!

Peter.

PS: Please remember that I'm not a skilled player. So it's not about the quality of the improvisation, but about the sound differences.

*** Table 1: Recording-times and mouthpiece ID's

Track Time-range Cho Mouthpiece ID
------------------------------------------------------------
Part 1 00:00-00:28 1 - (intro, no sax)
Part 1 00:28-00:54 1 Mouthpiece B (head, mix 2x)
Part 1 00:54-02:42 4 Mouthpiece C
Part 1 02:42-04:30 4 Mouthpiece D (from 2 takes)
Part 1 04:30-05:51 3 Mouthpiece E
Part 1 05:51-07:39 4 Mouthpiece F
Part 1 07:39-09:00 3 Mouthpiece G
Part 1 09:00-10:21 3 Mouthpiece H (fade-out into MPC I)

Part 2 00:05-01:26 3 Mouthpiece I (fade-in from MPC H)
Part 2 01:26-03:14 4 Mouthpiece J
Part 2 03:14-04:35 3 Mouthpiece K
Part 2 04:35-05:55 3 Mouthpiece L
Part 2 05:55-07:43 4 Mouthpiece M
Part 2 07:43-09:31 4 Mouthpiece N

(The MPC used in the head (B) is also used in one of the solo's)

*** Table 2: List of used mouthpieces (12, sorted by age):

# Age Mouthpiece (all metal Otto Links, except 12)
------------------------------------------------------------
1 1930-1935 Master Link 4->6 (refaced)
2 1935-1940 Four 4*->8* (refaced Mojo)
3 1935-1940 Four 8*->10 (refaced Jon van Wie)
4 1940-1950 Tone Master 5->8 (refaced Erik Greiffenhagen)
5 1950-1960 Florida no USA 9
6 1950-1960 Florida no USA 10*
7 1960-1974 Florida USA 11*
8 1974 Early Babbitt 8* (small bore)
9 1974 Early Babbitt 10* (small bore)
10 1975-1980 Early Babbitt 10 (wide bore)
11 1980-now STM NY 7->9* (refaced Mojo)
12 2010 China Metal Gold Plated 10 (cheap 40 USD MPC)

·
Banned
585 Posts
mrpeebee...this is great man. Not listened yet but a good blues, a great sounding collection of links. Nice man....so...pen, paper, see you later....a

·
Banned
235 Posts
Dude - that link to your tunes goes nowhere - when you click it goes here but nothing plays and there is nothing obvious to click on. I'd like to hear your comparison - please check the location of your sound files. Thanks.

·
Banned
585 Posts
Al...i had problems man. The link takes me to " soundclick ".All of the op's details are there. You gotta sign in etc. My problem....generic phone. I really doubt however that he has made an error...but?...later man...a

·
Banned
585 Posts
al...the link should take you to " soundclick ". All op's thing is there. My problem....generic phone. I doubt he has it wrong man....a

·
Administrator
17,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dude - that link to your tunes goes nowhere - when you click it goes here but nothing plays and there is nothing obvious to click on. I'd like to hear your comparison - please check the location of your sound files. Thanks.
Al...i had problems man. The link takes me to " soundclick ".All of the op's details are there. You gotta sign in etc. My problem....generic phone. I really doubt however that he has made an error...but?...later man...a
Thanks for your interest guys. I will check the links this evening at home, can't access SoundClick at my present location (work!). I know they worked for me before.

What will work for sure is this: just click on the blue 'SoundClick' link in my signature (it's under each post of me). That should bring you to my SoundClick menu, from which you can choose to play the listed tunes in Hi- or Lowfi quality. Sorry for the inconvenience.

·
Banned
235 Posts
Oh yea, sorry - you've got to scroll down the page and his clips are on the left. Thanks.

·
Registered
368 Posts
link works for me.
Which one? (bad pun!)

Sorry I don't know my links very well (and I'm not a pro sax player either), only recently got one for my alto but don't have one for the tenor. Therefore feel free to take my response with a grain of salt!

If there was one that was not like the others, I think it is MP G? I'm going to guess that it is MP 1?

As to favourites, I've listened a few times and keep changing my mind :S I think my favourite is mouthpiece I (start of part 2) - nice solid sound, a bit of edge but still has the 'furry' lower register.

Cheers,

Dave

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
This is intriguing. It would be interesting if anyone can identify the chinese $40 mpc in the line-up of 12, as a separate game. When the final identities of the various mpcs are finally resleased, I will definitely go in to listen to how far worse this cheapie mpc sounds compared with the other 11. I have read many horror stories about the chinese mpcs, so this is a great chance to verify just how bad they are. Thank you for a tremendous effort! In the meantime, I wonder if anyone could identify mpc no 12, as a sort of sub-game?
Unfortunatley, I am not knowlegeable enough about Links to play the main game...

·
Administrator
17,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@eldavo - Hi Dave, thanks for your feedback and taking the time to listen.

Great guess on MPC G (I shouldn't reveal that yet)! Tip is much more closed compared to what I normally play, so more difficult to controle for me. I guess that's one reason that makes it different, besides the character of the MPC itself.

Your current (!) favourite MPC I is one from after 1950. It's a great piece, but not in my own top 5. I will reveal the exact types later in this thread.

·
Administrator
17,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is intriguing. It would be interesting if anyone can identify the chinese $40 mpc in the line-up of 12, as a separate game. When the final identities of the various mpcs are finally resleased, I will definitely go in to listen to how far worse this cheapie mpc sounds compared with the other 11. I have read many horror stories about the chinese mpcs, so this is a great chance to verify just how bad they are. Thank you for a tremendous effort! In the meantime, I wonder if anyone could identify mpc no 12, as a sort of sub-game?
Unfortunatley, I am not knowlegeable enough about Links to play the main game...
That's a great idea zorrosg, thanks for your suggestion (and thanks for listening)! So let's make that another question:

3. WHO CAN IDENTIFY THE CHINESE MPC?

I have to admit that I was very very surprised by the GOOD quality of this Chinese mouthpiece, so I guess it will be hard to find it between the Links. I know they are not so consistant in quality: a friend (pro player) of mine ordered a 12 and that tip looks very crooked, it also doesn't play as well as mine. So you probably need some luck with those MPC's. On the other hand, what's the risk for only 40 USD (including shipping)!

·
Administrator
17,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The URL's as posted work fine, no issues with that. But In some cases (depending on your internet connection) it can take some time before the music starts, because it are big mp3 files (about 10 MB each).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
Wow! Connect the mouthpiece I.D. numbers? All 12 of them? Pick out which one is the Chinese mouthpiece? What a complicated comparison. I'm afraid I'd have to charge to go through all that. How much do you pay to have anyone participate? :bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
Well, I actually listened to all of them. In the first group, D sounded the best to me. Most of the second group sounded quite similar and better than most of the first group. M in the second group seemed hard for you to control the intonation. I really can't tell which is which. It seems you have alot of nice mouthpieces to choose from. I'd suggest picking YOUR favorite- the one that plays well for you and has the tonal concept or flexibility you enjoy- and working with that one exclusively for awhile.

·
Administrator
17,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow! Connect the mouthpiece I.D. numbers? All 12 of them? Pick out which one is the Chinese mouthpiece? What a complicated comparison. I'm afraid I'd have to charge to go through all that. How much do you pay to have anyone participate? :bluewink:
Yes I know, those are complex questions and it will take some time! What's your hour tariff? When you score 100% I could maybe offer you a free trial of the MPC's and a 20% reduction if you would like to buy one of them :bluewink:!

·
Administrator
17,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I actually listened to all of them. In the first group, D sounded the best to me. Most of the second group sounded quite similar and better than most of the first group. M in the second group seemed hard for you to control the intonation. I really can't tell which is which. It seems you have alot of nice mouthpieces to choose from. I'd suggest picking YOUR favorite- the one that plays well for you and has the tonal concept or flexibility you enjoy- and working with that one exclusively for awhile.
Thanks for taking the time to listen and your comments, really appreciate it.

Great you liked MPC D the best, it's my favourite piece for some month now! Mouthpiece M is also great, but the high register is less 'strong' then D. When I remember well I had some reed issue when playing that track, not sure anymore. It plays normally easier then D. When making those recordings I swapped quite quickly between the pieces, without really taking some time to adjust. Normally you should adjust for at least 30 minutes, but I don't have that much time to play!

Indeed I play mostly on my favourite piece, swapping much doesn't make sence.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Here goes, first impressions, listening to sound, didn't really pay atention to articulation.
Head B - sounds cool
C piano, subdued
D sounds good but doesn't convince me
E nice subtone but difficult to control when you open it out
F unpleasant
G as F
H sounds nice, there's a great sound in there trying to get out
Part 2 I sounds difficult to control it'll be a Link
from 1.00 to 2.25 I then J rough sound but virile, wouldn't be my choice but fun to rock
2.28 to 3.14 J strong
K strong and expressive 4.10 nice sound, needs to be more open
L lovely subtone, then after the sound breaks, not a sound to inspire improvisation
M lots of charachter but has sometning closed in the top of the sound ,few upper partials except for stray ones
N for no!

This reminds me of struggling to learn sax on soprano with a rubber Link. I was so happy in the end when I got a Vandoren V25, and it gave me a fair chance to
articulate and blow correctly, it rewards, and also is less tolerant of bad embouchure.
I take my hat off to the jazz greats who changed the world with Otto Link mouthpieces, I doubt they would use them today (IMHO).

I thought it a crazy idea what you did, but having listened I'm not sure,

cheers Declan,

you can play quite alright by the way

1 - 20 of 24 Posts