Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Has anyone ever bought a vintage/old saxophone metal mouthpiece at an extremely discounted price (i.e., a "steal")? Any bargain stories from pawn shops or garage sales?

If so, would you happen to have any advice on how someone can run into such situations? My guess is that it's purely luck, but hey, I'm open to any advice :)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It's luck in my experience...

I have been fortunate on a few occasions and less fortunate in others.

I bought a ROC britone (or what ever they are) new not vintage, for £8 from a shop and the owner of said shop, could not wait to get rid of it.
Some years later, up pops the internet and I sold it for £100 with people fighting over it?????
I paid going rate for a hand made Guardala and they rocketed.
I bought a used Selmer England piece for £4 from the crap drawer in a small shop in London and got £80.
I bought an alto and in the case was a Slant Sig Otto Link (shame it wasn't a tenor piece)..
But hey ho, no master plan and I'm sure my story is nothing in comparison to some others.
I have taken a depreciation hit on just about everything else that I can think of.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
A friend of my dad gave me an old short shank Dukoff years ago. I still have it.
I've bought two horns that had old hard rubber Bergs, unfortunately.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Saxlicker, that sounds pretty cool. I bet the Guardala sounds amazing- what about the Selmer England piece? How did it play?

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
No high baffle. It's the one marked Bob Dukoff on the shank and in cursive along the top. Ive used it for everything but I play a Link more than anything else.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,080 Posts
I bought a gold plated Conn Chu tenor on CL for $150, sold it for $1,300 but inside the case was an old Link TM and a rubber brilhart alto mouthpiece. Sold the mouthpieces for $700 total.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,977 Posts
I won an auction for a box of saxophone mouthpieces and ligatures.
Winning bid was $23 plus $5 for shipping.
Seller simply had one blurry photo and no other information.
There were about a dozen pieces and 15 or so ligs and a few caps.
One piece was a Berg Larsen slant sig Alto, and also a slant sig tenor Hard Rubber.
2 old keilwerth/wagner rubber tenor pieces.
An old Buescher trutone piece.
And a couple of Neyer (not Meyer) soprano pieces.
A Conn eagle C melody piece.
A Conn Constellation alto piece.
And a couple of unknown tenor pieces.
There were about 6 old berg HR duckbill ligs for alto and a couple for tenor also.
Along with e few old Berg caps for both tenor and alto.
I have re-sold most of these bits and pieces.
Made somewhere near 20 times what I paid for them.
And still have a few ligs and caps left for myself to use.
Have also picked up the odd nice piece with horns I have bought.
Also once bought a Beechler Bellite alto piece for $50 with an olegature included.
Re-sold it for $200 minus the lig.
So you can get lucky every so often.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I bought a keilwerth saxophone online and it came with 5 mouthpieces. One was a Meyer Bros New York 4M in mint condition. Plays like a dream!

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
"Case candy" is occasionally a way to obtain a nice vintage mouthpiece. You buy a sax from someone who does not know there is a mouthpiece with it that may be worth as much as the sax. The good mouthpieces are often with the sax, not in the junk box.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I saw an ad for a vintage Martin alto quite near to my home. I found the place-down a long lane to a somewhat shabby looking house. The seller sees me coming and meets me on the porch. He's got a beat-up case. Inside was a Martin alto but it was a very late one-a Martin name only. The case smelled really bad. I should have brought rubber gloves. Rooting around in the case I see a Selmer mpc- Turns out to be a vintage Soloist C* in good condition. The seller wanted $75.00 for the horn-I offered $25.00 for the mpc and he said sure. I would not have brought the horn and case into my house. The mpc. is a good player on my Couf alto.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your stories- I guess I now know what to look for! Keep sharing them if you got them

·
Registered
398 Posts
Never had such luck, but steals can be had. On eBay a while back I saw a Meyer Bros. alto mouthpiece newly listed with a BIN of $49.99 -- the seller apparently didn't know the value of what he or she was selling -- but by the time I'd logged in it had been sold.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Buddy of mine got a Lawton 6* for $20...he was working at Sam Ash at the time and the kid apparently had no clue what it was. Pretty crazy. Though a little morally questionable imo, to me it seems pretty clear that anyone with a Lawton mpc either knows what it is, or stole it. I picked up my soprano Link for $80 "used"...but shipped in all of the original packaging and not a mark on the mpc so go figure.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Saxlicker, that sounds pretty cool. I bet the Guardala sounds amazing- what about the Selmer England piece? How did it play?
Guardala was good.

The Selmer (England) was ordinary but I think they have a small following that appreciate them and it would probably suit me a bit better these days.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Buddy of mine got a Lawton 6* for $20...he was working at Sam Ash at the time and the kid apparently had no clue what it was. Pretty crazy. Though a little morally questionable imo, to me it seems pretty clear that anyone with a Lawton mpc either knows what it is, or stole it.
lol, or they inherited the mouthpiece and put their trust in an expert to accurately appraise their item- nevertheless, one could say it was the kid's responsibility to use resources a little more wisely and figure out a realistic price range.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I once sold an original Guardala Studio alto mouthpiece for about 110 dollars to a young player who was desperately looking for such a piece. I knew some people would pay much more, but that's what it was worth to me, as I had it lying around in a box for years ...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I once sold an original Guardala Studio alto mouthpiece for about 110 dollars to a young player who was desperately looking for such a piece. I knew some people would pay much more, but that's what it was worth to me, as I had it lying around in a box for years ...
Wow, that's really generous of you. Edited to add: if you have other unwanted mouthpieces lying away in boxes, please let me know :bluewink2:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Walked into a music store in 2002 and found a MINT condition Florida Otto Link STM USA 8 for sale on consignment. It looked brand new. They wanted $100 for it. I played that piece until 2013 when I dropped it on concrete and bent the tip. I sent it (twice) to a reputable mouthpiece maker/refacer and he made it look good, but it was horrible and unplayable. I sent it to another refacer and he made it playable, but it's just not what it was. Thinking I might see if TK can make it better. On the hunt again. I always check pawn shops and go through the cases of any horns they have. No luck just yet.

I also got an original double ring 5 in the case with an SBA I bought a year ago.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts