Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[rolleyes] I bought my first vintage mouthpiece...a selmer soloist. i wanted to play test it, but before i wanted to disinfect it...

After read some posts i used alcohol (shouldn't i done it?). The mouthpiece is in great shape but very brown...

While cleaning with cotton the cotton get all brown...[rolleyes]

Should i clean until the cotton stops being this color? or maybe i will just clean the mpc until it disapears?.....:tsk:

Should i just blow in that greenish anyway? :|

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If alcohol made sax mouthpieces disappear, there wouldn't be too many vintage mouthpieces left in circulation...
Yeah that was kind of a joke.
But it's natural that even you clean with what you mpc it stills keep oxidation (unclean)? After water wash the mpc it turns like if it has a lot of dust (green)?

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
If still keeps descoloring oxidation you don't clean it?
Stop worrying; if it plays well, who cares about the colour...just play it.

If alcohol made sax mouthpieces disappear, there wouldn't be too many vintage mouthpieces left in circulation...
:) :mrgreen:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Welcome to the world of vintage mouthpieces.

I wouldn't put that in my mouth... Ewwwwwwwwww... :twisted:

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,903 Posts
Yeah that was kind of a joke.
After water wash the mpc it turns like if it has a lot of dust (green)?
That just means the water was probably too hot.

I would only ever use cold water and a soft toothbrush.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
Clean it with a tissue with olive oil (azeite, amigo tuga :bluewink:). Hopefully it will become beautiful again and return to a dark brown color.

·
28,903 Posts
And if you want to get the limescale or hard gunk or whatever it is off the inside, soak a small piece of cloth in vinegar, bunch it up and and shove it inside and leave for a few hours, careful not to get the vinegar on the outside.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the world of vintage mouthpieces.

I wouldn't put that in my mouth... Ewwwwwwwwww... :twisted:
yeah...:lick: thank you.:bluewink:
I was thinking maybe i could got "green poisoned" :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And if you want to get the limescale or hard gunk or whatever it is off the inside, soak a small piece of cloth in vinegar, bunch it up and and shove it inside and leave for a few hours, careful not to get the vinegar on the outside.
and about the rubber smell? what can i do about that?

·
28,903 Posts
and about the rubber smell? what can i do about that?
I don't know, it's never bothered me. I'm sure it will go away as you use it, or else the olive oil that jlima suggested would probably help.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know, it's never bothered me. I'm sure it will go away as you use it, or else the olive oil that jlima suggested would probably help.
i heard about a little lemons juice on the mpc but i don't know if it is a good thing or not

·
28,903 Posts
i heard about a little lemons juice on the mpc but i don't know if it is a good thing or not
It's acid, so though it may be good for the inside as with vinegar, I wouldn't leave it too long on the outside. As an experiment I did leave an HR MP in vinegar for a while and it got quite nasty.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
not to worry, oxidation will not hurt you that i know of. if you just wash it off with lukewarm (not too hot) water and a good bit of handsoap and make sure to scrub all the calcium deposits off of it (if there are any) it should be fine. I've never gotten sick from mpc oxidation. Besides, if you scrub too hard with an abrasive material or something by mistake, you could end up changing the facing and it might not play as well. If you want it to be changed to a different size or refaced, a refacer can often get vintage mpcs looking like new during the process if you ask for that.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
not to worry, oxidation will not hurt you that i know of. if you just wash it off with lukewarm (not too hot) water and a good bit of handsoap and make sure to scrub all the calcium deposits off of it (if there are any) it should be fine. I've never gotten sick from mpc oxidation. Besides, if you scrub too hard with an abrasive material or something by mistake, you could end up changing the facing and it might not play as well. If you want it to be changed to a different size or refaced, a refacer can often get vintage mpcs looking like new during the process if you ask for that.
thank you. I'm digging my mpc know. I think it was the first reaction to a really vintage muthpiece... i've already played some others but they have been refaced so they looked like new. There are/wasn't any calcium deposits. Now there is starting to appear but that is my fault :mrgreen: now i just need to get used to the rubber smell :baby:

But i really like this mpc, it's green and beautiful, sounds great :baby:

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Green?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts