Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to buy this Meyer alto mouthpiece for $100. I'm not an alto player, so this would be with the intention of resale. Is it worth the investment? Information online is foggy, the Medium stamp in the middle of the table doesn't match up with pics on any of the websites I've found, they're usually at the bottom. Other side of the shank appears to say "Made in USA" View attachment 228488

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,073 Posts
Hi Frank! I'm far from a vintage mouthpiece expert, but that seems to be a pretty normal Babbitt-made Meyer. The only Meyers that I know of that have strong vintage value are the "New York" and "New York USA" pieces. I don't imagine this one would fetch any more than $100 anytime soon... might not even keep up with inflation. I think $100 into an IRA will get you a lot further. (Maybe I'm wrong, and if there are experts here who know of desirable "early Babbitt" Meyers, like with Links, then I'm curious to know as well.)

But if it's a good player, $100 is a perfectly fine deal for a good Meyer 5M! Tip and rails look pretty even, and in good shape. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
From what I've seen on Meyers (and I am not an expert), the stamping on the table is usually the tip-opening (e.g., "5") with the length-of-lay below it designated with a letter such as S, M, or L (small, medium, long). The chamber size is stamped elsewhere on the shank, as I recall . . . and that is spelled out, e.g., "Medium Chamber", etc.

So, I have one marked "6S", then "Medium Chamber". I've owned them with similar markings but different designations ("6S M", "6M M", "7M S", etc.). DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback guys, that's what I suspected but thought I'd put it out there and see if there were any other opinions.

I understand the meaning of the stamp on the table, my comment was about the position of the stamp. All the pictures on websites like Theo Wanne show the stamp at the very bottom of the table. This picture shows the stamp positioned midway between the bottom of the table and the window. I thought that might have some significance.

As it is I already have a Babbitt Meyer that comes out of the case for my one or two alto gigs a year, so I'll probably pass on this one unless I hear otherwise. Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts