Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
2,196 Posts
These are NOT the vintage Meyer blanks. This one is just old with discolored rubber, but it is not the desirable one. The good Meyer soprano blank has a wide open chamber like an older Otto Link. This one as you can see has a squeezed chamber like a Selmer or recent Otto Link, common Babbitt product.
You are right, this isn't an old one - but have you ever seen an old Meyer soprano??? They have a med-lrg chamber that looks like how a Meyer chamber looks on alto - nothing like an old Link for soprano. There are actually two varieties, one that is the same piece as the last NYUSAs (smaller short shank med-lrg chamber), and another one that looks similar to what is out there today - but with a very long table, and window (and those ones are considering larger and longer than anything they've ever produced). Those need to be shortened to work properly on a modern horn.

This mouthpiece above, is a standard Babbitt soprano piece. They use the same blank for the new Meyers, Links, Bundys, and the list just goes on and on. At least this one is made of good rubber, I'd assume that it's worth $150+shipping (considering I've sold EBs for $500, and NYUSAs for $1500). This thing (with a real reface) would hold it's facing for a while and play similar to a Selmer scroll piece.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
You are right, this isn't an old one - but have you ever seen an old Meyer soprano??? They have a med-lrg chamber that looks like how a Meyer chamber looks on alto - nothing like an old Link for soprano.
Yes I have seen them, I have a couple of them. In my opinion they are the best soprano pieces made. True they are not as big a chamber as the old link, but I just used that example because from a general perspective, they are similarly big and round. Yes, they are a bit smaller, but seeing as soprano pieces are tiny anyways, visually, the size difference is not big. The 'large chamber' Meyer soprano pieces were also made well past the "NYUSA" stamp. The early ones that say "made in USA" are the same thing, and excellent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts