Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

· Registered
302 Posts
Your horn was misrepresented and it appears that to get it into playable condition repairs are needed. Some people will tell you that you will spend more money buying and repairing it than the horn is worth. I feel that if and when you get the sax in good shape and you like playing it and therefore keeping it, it doesn’t matter what others think. You’ll Have a great saxophone that YOU enjoy, and sound a lot better than most. Really, $1200 for a good playing Martin ain’t bad.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
9,490 Posts
At the minimum file complaint with eBay and put hold on PayPal payment ?
Get a estimate on the repairs in writing to support your complaint. Work out some form of compensation and try to keep it.
I don’t deal with ebay so I’m not up to speed on what time allowance is. Did the seller have guarantee or return policy? You’ve done nothing but try to be an honest buyer. Why should you loose anything on a return! This would be an interesting item if returned to see how he would relist it. And the price realized at end of auction.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,496 Posts
I kind of agree, the horn is 1928-29 with the high F#, just about the best you can get for a vintage Martin with a street price of US$ 1200.- and up. Don't let the grudge about the seller get in the way of having a great horn, even if it doesn't turn out to be the bargain you thought it would be. Sometimes you luck out, sometimes you get what you pay for. At the price you paid, it is not really a rip off, and the alternative is years of remorse of not having "that one horn that got away". I am just playing devil's advocate but maybe you just weigh your losses, give the seller a really bad rating on ebay and enjoy that Martin for years to come.
I have never seen a vintage soprano with a high F# or even a front F (except Holton front F).

· Distinguished SOTW Member
9,490 Posts
Thanks guys. I should have time to check tonight. If the problem isn't obvious, I will just pack it and ship it back to the seller. But if I do it, I'm afraid I will loose the $55 of import fees I had to pay.
So it's been a few weeks. How did things work out for you?
Members learn from others experiences both good and bad so please share.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,702 Posts
Mmmm...sorry but you know...when a seller states 'no leaks', then that should mean 'no leaks'.
In a perfect world. I always translate "no leaks" as the seller saying "I'm lying." I haven't been disappointed yet.

"Vega" was a trademark of The Vega Company, a huge musical instrument wholesaler in Boston that was established in 1889. Now remembered mostly for their banjos, early electric guitars and amplifiers, they had a full line of Vega musical instruments (strings, brasswind, woodwind) and accessories. Because of it's later focus on guitars, the company was purchased by Martin (C.F. Martin, the guitar manufacturer).

Miles Davis played a Vega Power Model trumpet before endorsing the Martin Committee II. My guess is that the Vega Power Model was a stencil from Martin Band Instrument (like the op's soprano) and Davis later endorsed the Martin Committee II because it was essentially what he was playing with the Vega Power Model. And Martin Band Instrument has nothing to do with the fact that Vega was later bought by C.F. Martin.

As with most wholesalers, Vega didn't have exclusive supply contracts. Here is a Vega saxophone made by Conn.

That's all the useless information that I have right now.

Mark

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.