Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
20,344 Posts
It's certainly NOT the make/model of the horn.

It might be worth taking it to a tech for an estimate. If the tech figures out what it is, perhaps you could contact seller and suggest a partial refund; noting that if you cannot get help in paying for repair, you are likely gonna just return it for a refund.
Oftentimes that news makes sellers....um...agreeable.

20,344 Posts
Well, too bad that it turned out that way. Generally it is very difficult to land a vintage 'Big 4' soprano in playing shape for less than around $750-800ish.

Martins are nice ones (when they play of course). Good luck with the return, no doubt you will get your transaction payment back, but unfortunately I have no clue how you might go about trying to recover the customs fees...

20,344 Posts
Mmmm...sorry but you know...when a seller states 'no leaks', then that should mean 'no leaks'.
So if one is buying a horn which is thus described, it isn't very fair to say "you should've expected to put money into it".

It would be one thing if seller had said "I know nothing about saxes, but it seems to be in good shape".

But fact that seller stated it plays and is leak free....no, this is not on the buyer.

Anyways...fixing it ? I guess it depends on cost. I mean, if it needs $500+ of work...and JoJo really only wanted to invest maybe $750 tops in a Sop....then getting the horn worked up ain't really gonna be in the cards, right ?

I agree in perfect, refurbed shape these are worth $1000-1200, but that may be little comfort.

Too bad we aren't in same country, Jo, or I would gladly get that horn back into good playability for you for $300 tops....but add in 2-way shipping and it starts creeping back to $500-ish, I think.....

20,344 Posts
I agree with this, but also it is sort of cold comfort if someone only has a $600+/- budget for a Soprano, and thought they had purchased one in playing shape since that's how seller represented it....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.