Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had this interest in taking a Alto Link for a spin. I really enjoyed telling the qualities of the EB in particular, but also Floridas on alto. call these mobiles aren't as expensive as their tenant cousins, they don't come up very often not at a price or a situation allows me to try it and see if I like it.

So there are tons of alto mouthpieces out there that at least claim to be inspired by or generally a copy of very flavors of Meyers. And obviously there are hard tons of Link inspired flavors for tenor.

Is there a modern (or recently defunkt) mouthpiece maker who has an alto model inspired or based off a Link design?

Alternatively, I know I.could.buy a new Link and get it refaced/cleaned, but that's no less an investment than a $300, and that's certainly something I am.considering. But this is more an intellectual exercise than anything else. I am pretty happy with my current setup, but there is a timbre to Links on alto I really like, so I am curious..

Options?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right. Not really my question, though. My OP noted that was an option. I was asking for others. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,908 Posts
For old Link variants, that are made well and priced right, I'd look at Phil-Tone. My tenor Sapphire is the most balanced piece I own.

·
Registered
393 Posts
So I have had this interest in taking a Alto Link for a spin. I really enjoyed telling the qualities of the EB in particular, but also Floridas on alto. call these mobiles aren't as expensive as their tenant cousins, they don't come up very often not at a price or a situation allows me to try it and see if I like it.

So there are tons of alto mouthpieces out there that at least claim to be inspired by or generally a copy of very flavors of Meyers. And obviously there are hard tons of Link inspired flavors for tenor.

Is there a modern (or recently defunkt) mouthpiece maker who has an alto model inspired or based off a Link design?

Alternatively, I know I.could.buy a new Link and get it refaced/cleaned, but that's no less an investment than a $300, and that's certainly something I am.considering. But this is more an intellectual exercise than anything else. I am pretty happy with my current setup, but there is a timbre to Links on alto I really like, so I am curious..

Options?

If you’re into bigger tips on Alto I have a Florida Straight Sig 8 with original box in almost new condition I’m thinking of selling.

Some call these EBs but the box has the Florida Adress, the baffle looks EB though.

Send me a PM if your’e interested.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
8 is a bit much for.me.on alto but thanks for the.consideration. My comfort tends to be in the.076 - .080 range, response-wise - on alto anyway. An 8 / .110 on tenor is typically my sweet spot.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For old Link variants, that are made well and priced right, I'd look at Phil-Tone. My tenor Sapphire is the most balanced piece I own.
I was looking at Phil's website, and at least his current alto line-up seems to be inspired/based on either the Soloist and Meyer (not sure about the Intrepid, but it doesn't sound particularly Linky to my ear...and I'm sorta over high-baffles a la the Isotope...though I'm not clear on what inspired his Rift mpc), which is sort of what led me to this post. I have not seen a boutique or other modern makers explicitly saying "this alto mpc is inspired/based/influenced/riffing off a [insert vintage reference] Link." Meyers all day long, Soloists, DGs...which I get is where the market is, but there are players out there who love a link on Alto. I think I read on Steve Neff's reviews from way back that one of his Warburton alto models was kinda/sorta Link-based, but that's about the extent of it.

That said, I'm pretty happy with my current mpc, a 100th anniversary Babbitt Meyer. So I'm not dying to change up. Like I said, this is as much intellectual curiousity as anything.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,908 Posts
I was looking at Phil's website, and at least his current alto line-up seems to be inspired/based on either the Soloist and Meyer (not sure about the Intrepid, but it doesn't sound particularly Linky to my ear...and I'm sorta over high-baffles a la the Isotope...though I'm not clear on what inspired his Rift mpc), which is sort of what led me to this post. I have not seen a boutique or other modern makers explicitly saying "this alto mpc is inspired/based/influenced/riffing off a [insert vintage reference] Link." Meyers all day long, Soloists, DGs...which I get is where the market is, but there are players out there who love a link on Alto. I think I read on Steve Neff's reviews from way back that one of his Warburton alto models was kinda/sorta Link-based, but that's about the extent of it.

That said, I'm pretty happy with my current mpc, a 100th anniversary Babbitt Meyer. So I'm not dying to change up. Like I said, this is as much intellectual curiousity as anything.
Honestly, I haven't noticed much of a difference between alto Meyers and alto Links. I cut my teeth on a 6* STM, which I used for years. My current piece is a Phil Barone NY 7, which is a Meyer copy. The STM is a little more flexible, but it lacks a little bit of the grit that the Barone has. I guess you can say that the Link is a bit tubby. Having played one for years, I certainly get the appeal though. You may also consider looking for used Links to save a nice chunk of change. I own 3 metal Links on Alto, Tenor, and Soprano. All are modern production, and all played just fine out of the box. Both Phil's are genuine perfectionists who make some beautifully balanced pieces that play just fine. My black label RPC is a much less perfectly balanced piece, and it also plays great in spite of its flaws. So refacing isn't necessary as long as the piece plays well for you. Come to think of it, I've only come across one modern Link, a tenor Tone Edge, that was absolute trash.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts