Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2009
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Around here and on eBay you're likely to see Fred Lamberson's earlier "small font" pieces being touted as better than the current lot...which of course you can't even get! Do we really believe it? Or do we suspect the hypemeisters of seeking to cash in on the built-in scarcity of yet another rare mouthpiece?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,596 Posts
I hear that when Fred was twelve, he carved a few alto pieces out of local pine wood. These are by far the best playing Lambersons, being much older than their later iterations.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
The better pieces supposedly have a better rubber compound and had more time spent on them than current pieces.

Saxaholic

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
The same has been said of RPC's, they are most likely different but if they are better who is to say? I think it is hype--I tried some Lambersons back around 1995 and I wish I had bought all 4 I tried at the time. Although I didn't think they were great back then...

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,739 Posts
I'm pretty sure Lamberson and RPC would (and probably actually do) say that they've improved their mouthpieces over time. I mean, these are guys who are dedicated and serious artisans, right? So what, they are going to let their product go to hell, or learn as they go along and build ever better mouthpieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2009
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like we're mostly on the same page here. Seems disingenuous, as if they're touting as better whichever Lamberson piece they happen to be holding at the time. "This rare older one is made out of way better rubber than the new ones" vs. "this new Lamberson piece is from the hottest boutique maker out there, he's not even taking any more orders, blah blah blah." I suppose both could be true at once, but come on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,948 Posts
Some of the earlier Lamberson baffled 'pieces (SB and DD protos) were made on smaller blanks that some people prefer. (I haven't seen L or J models on the smaller blanks.

·
Premium Member
15,491 Posts
For those of you who havent owned the original blanks Fred used...you'd be mistaken to make judgements.
I would venture to say that I've owned more Lambersons than everyone whose posted here combined. I've had maybe 70+ in total through here.

His older blanks were far better in sound. They rang more and had much more core. His older blanks were far superior to his pieces today, in my opinion. I asked him why he stopped using the older blanks and he told me he couldnt get them anymore.
I've owned countless original Lamberson blanks and countless current Lambersons, and the older ones had way more guts and meat to the sound. They also had a great resonance to the sound. Todays Lamberson alto's in particular are much thinner in sound and lacking the core and depth the older ones had.

Alot of guys post opinions here without ever having tried the pieces in question. I've played on everything, and my descriptions are based on what I hear.

If you think the difference in Freds older pieces and current pieces is hype...you're VERY mistaken.

·
Premium Member
15,491 Posts
Fred said he stopped using the older blanks because he couldnt get the older blanks anymore....

The better question would be, "If Fred could use the older blanks or the newer ones...which would he use".

Since he cant get those older blanks, what do you think the answer would be? :D

·
Premium Member
15,491 Posts
I will add, that while I like the older ones WAY more...Fred still makes great mpc's today. I just greatly prefer the older blanks.
If you've had the chance to compare his old and new blanks, be sure to add your feedback here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,948 Posts
Was Fred making Ls and Js in the older blanks or were they all SDs and DDs (or what came to be known as those models)?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,695 Posts
I own 3 Lambersons. A solid silver tenor, an alto 8x which is from the older blanks, and a new 6SB alto. The tenor is my favorite piece of all my tenor pieces.

As far as the 2 altos, the 8x is designed to be a very bright piece, and I have had quite a few bright Dukoffs and Bergs, but the 8x has a lot of bark as well. It has a great core to the sound, even in the high registers. The 6SB is also a great piece, but does not have as much character as the 8x.

And another thing, I can get rid of my 6SB and there is a good chance I can find another one if I wanted. I won't find another 8x. Most of the Lambersons I've seen on ebay and around here are for the newer ones. There must be a reason the owners of the older pieces hold on to them. I know I will.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,739 Posts
10mfan said:
The better question would be, "If Fred could use the older blanks or the newer ones...which would he use".

Since he cant get those older blanks, what do you think the answer would be? :D
There's always the chance that he'd answer with the truth, right? If not for personal integrity then because he's got a line at least 9 months long waiting to shell out $350 a pop for his mouthpieces. What's he got to loose even if he said the older blanks were better?

I thought I read on the forum that Fred made his own blanks. Anyone know for sure? If so, why couldn't he just copy the old ones if he thought they were better?

Maybe someone who's close to Fred could point him at this thread and see if he'd be willing to provide a comment for posting here.

[Edit]Here's the reference to Fred making his own blanks now.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I don't think that just because you have played/owned 70 whatever pieces of Fred's that it makes your opinion fact; its still your opinion, and may be well informed, but there will still be someone who doesn't come to the same conclusion as that. Thus, it might be fair to say that some players prefer the old blanks to the new ones--saying unequivocally that they are better is hype. Especially when you are trying to sell it.

·
Premium Member
15,491 Posts
VING: "Saying unequivocally that they are better is hype."

Thats completely foolish!

My opinion is that the older blanks are far better than the newer ones. Thats my opinion, and for you to call it hype is ridiculous.
"HYPE" would have been if I had an older blank of his for sale and I was asking $600 for it, saying it was "this and this, and that you'll never see another one of these again". I sold mine for $250. Hype?...No.
GREAT DEAL...YES.

I never said anyones opinion is fact---and I'm entitled to my opinion, as you are yours.
Have you compared the older blanks to todays??? Seems alot of guys post opinions here without ever having a 1st hand knowledge of what they are posting about.
My comment that I've owned over 70 of these pieces was to let you know I've had ample opportunity to compare them....and for me the older ones are better---especially the alto pieces.

Long ago, I posted that I was looking for another older alto blank of his for myself...There's no hype, and I wasnt selling anything---just looking to get another great older Lamberson for myself, because I liked them that much.
You or anyone else can have an opposite opinion of his blanks, but it doesnt change how I feel. My opinion is just that...MINE.

The bottom line is that Freds pieces can be great, and I personally, HIGHLY prefer the old rubber blanks to todays.
I played on one of his older blanks as my main piece for a year and a half and loved it. I had written Fred to ask him if he could get hold of another older blank so he could make me a backup piece...and he said he couldnt get those blanks anymore.
The rubber was excellent on those.

I've said what I've said and stick by it, and I wont be visiting this post again. My OPINION has been made clear.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
This discussion is silly. Older Lambersons are "vintage". Just like my old bicycle is "vintage". No one says they're worth any more or less than a newer one. The hype you're reading into is just good salesmanship. Nothing more. I've owned and tried my share of these great pieces new and old. Almost all of them I liked. Some folks like the smaller ones. A big mouth like me like the newer larger ones. It's just whatever you go for.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts