Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a moment of madness or pure genius I am thinking of trading my JK Black nickel tenor for a vintage 1945 King Zephyr special Tenor. I have a JK clear laquer alto as well as a king Zephyr alto and the King is by far the better, sweeter sounding, and louder horn. I was wondering If I would get the same results when the tenors are compared.

Has anyone done any comparison on these two horns?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,862 Posts
I have had both tenors at the same time and I chose the JK. However, since you already like the Zeph alto, I dare say you will love the tenor too.

My only worry would be intonation on the King. That is why I let mine go...not that it won't play in tune, but because it was harder to control than the JK.

The Zephs, espcially the "Specials", are great sounding horns!

·
Banned
2,206 Posts
Based on my experience with these, I would think that a later one like this one (right on the cusp of the Super 20 intro) would have the best intonation possible on these. However, with all hand-made horns, this can be hit or miss. I say go for it! The cheapest horn in my collection--a 1956 Zeph is currently my fav over two other pricier horns....

·
Registered
134 Posts
tenorblack

When I Bought my saxophone i think 5 months
what is the best for me Vintage or modern horn
and this my answer
to the vintage horns have bad mechanics but have a sweet sound
but if you have a good modern saxophone
and you have good sound ( If You Have good setup and yon know how to do good sound)
becausae that i take the JK SAXOPHONE
but i want to say
when you buy sax buy the sax with your taste
and i think you need to sell one sax from your alto collection because i think you have dilema what to choose

1 - 4 of 4 Posts