Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,354 Posts
Thank you, unfortunately, auction was ended at $100 when I saw your post.
I promise there will be more. There's always a handful of King Clevelands and YAS-23s on that site. Like I hinted, it's a risk. You never know what you're going to get. Most will need at least a few pads changed and some adjustments. Figure on another $150 in tech charges when you bid.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I promise there will be more. There's always a handful of King Clevelands and YAS-23s on that site. Like I hinted, it's a risk. You never know what you're going to get. Most will need at least a few pads changed and some adjustments. Figure on another $150 in tech charges when you bid.
Thank you!!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,194 Posts
Check out 2ndending.com, run by @JayeLID here on the forum – he's always got a pile of quality inexpensive vintage altos, and it looks like he has several really nice choices at the moment.
Seconding this. I had an itch to get an alto after many, many years on the tenor and bari a couple of years ago and ended up getting a Buescher 140 from @JayeLID in good working shape. I was looking for something to get started on and ended up with a good enough alto for the rest of my life. I forget what I paid but it was comfortably under a grand. It seems like a really versatile horn that is quite comfortable to play, for me at least. Certainly a better horn than I am an alto player.

No idea what those are going for now, but I'm very happy with mine and it'll be worth keeping in good playing shape for as long as I need an alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,814 Posts
That auction reads:

"This Saxophone is untested, estate sale find"

So, you take it for $150-175....and it will need likely at least $500 of work (possibly more depending on where you live).

Again, these low-price acquisitions of used models....just be ready to fork out some significant after-purchase $....not sure the OP wants to go there.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,753 Posts
That model and the 400 'series II' with the standard neck octave key are essentially the same, and indeed are around 80% of what a THC is.
It has actually been written that these are "Aristocrat bodies" and written that these are "THC bodies"...but member Maddenma and I actually compared body measurements of the series II standard slung neck ones (so serials a bit higher than 377,XXX) to 'Crats and THC's...and lo and behold....they are neither. Or rather, sorta an amalgam of both.
They have some measurements of the earlier 400's, some 'Crat-ish, & some measurements/specs seem to be their own.
Anyways, I concur.....completely off-radar models, quite nice horns.
I have a 386,xxx example that blows well -- Nortons and snaps w/ the standard neck 8va key .

When I got it about 10 years ago I emailed Buescher fan Juan Caino and he pretty much
stated the same as you - not quite TH&C or Aristo. Anyway... plays great !

·
Registered
Yamaha 82Z Alto, Yanagisawa 990 Tenor, Singers Day SBDS-2001 Bari, Jean Baptiste JB-65/L Soprano
6 Posts
I have a Martin Handcraft Phase II stencil, probably late '20s (Wm Frank, Chicago "New Era") that is a beast of a player. It doesn't have modern ergonomics or keywork, but it really sings and plays very well and is in very good condition. I ran across it at a Goodwill store about seven years ago and snatched it up for $70 in nearly playable condition. I did an overhaul on it and I absolutely love the sound, sometimes more than my Yamaha 82z. It has a real warm, sweet tone. It lacks a little on intonation compared to modern horns (I get used to it when I play it for a while) and the antique keywork is not nearly as easy to get adjusted perfectly, but it is a great playing horn. If you can find a good one for the right price, I would highly recommend it.

·
4,609 Posts
here a couple good options: Logan 's Shop
This seller didn’t do their homework. 1914 Conn ?? The micro tuners didn’t come out until about 1922.
Expect $500 worth of tech servicing on either. Just saying...
$500 would be low on TT. That wouldn’t include removig the gold paint job.….on the pads too.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
This seller didn’t do their homework. 1914 Conn ?? The micro tuners didn’t come out until about 1922.
Yep, that's around 1922. Seller probably just saw the 1914 patent stamp and ran with it.

He got closer on the 1927 spray painted one. The paint job and the straight tone holes make it worth less than the other one in my mind.

·
3,194 Posts
My understanding is that the 140 is what Saxpics refers to as the "Big B" and Series 3 Aristocrat altos. The Series 3 is basically identical to the Big B, but they do not have the "Big B" engraving and cost less for whatever reason. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts