Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am mainly a tenor player and I just recently sold my like brand new YAS62 since I was not playing it much.

However, I would like to have an Alto Sax, preferably vintage and since I am not going to play it much I would like not to spend much.

Do you have any ideas of what Altos should I consider?

I was thinking on maybe a Buescher True Tone or a King Zephyr, any others ?

Thanks and best,

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
Even a Martin Imperial. I still have one I rescued from a music store junk pile. It plays better than a Yamaha 61 I had.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,334 Posts
You can pick up a later King Cleveland for a low as $100 if you shop around. They're nice horns with a sweet tone. I know others are going to say Yamaha YAS-2X and we have a big Jupiter fan here as well. Well made saxes that you can get for little money. So many kids start out on alto sax and quit after a year or two there are thousands of them out there which helps keep the price down. Also they don't get much use so a lot of them are in good shape. If you're a risk taker check out shopgoodwill.com

Perfect example right here. It was the first sax that popped up on shopgoodwill. It goes in 2 hours so better hurry and get your bid in. ;) King Saxophone With Case And Accessories

·
Registered
483 Posts
Another vote for Martins. I've had a number of different altos. I used to play a Yanagisawa 991 but then got a 1950s Martin Indiana for around $200 as a back up. Well to cut the story short I sold the Yanigasawa as I stopped using it in favor of the Martin. I've since also bought a Martin Com II and Com III Music man. All excellent horns for tone. Ergos are old style, but very workable.

·
Registered
Selmer Paris - SBA alto (‘50); Reference 36; Mark VI tenor (‘74)
30 Posts
You can snag a Yamaha 62 (purple logo/mk 1 model) for under $2k and it might very well be the best alto ever made.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hello,

I am mainly a tenor player and I just recently sold my like brand new YAS62 since I was not playing it much.

However, I would like to have an Alto Sax, preferably vintage and since I am not going to play it much I would like not to spend much.

Do you have any ideas of what Altos should I consider?

I was thinking on maybe a Buescher True Tone or a King Zephyr, any others ?

Thanks and best,
Those are great choices, but if you don't want to spend that much, look for a Martin Indiana or King Cleveland, like others have suggested.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Obviously expense is relative, that being said you can find great deals on old conn altos. I picked up my 6m metro dead mint on eBay for $600 you can find old buescher altos for even less. Both of those options would be fantastic gets, although you might get pulled down the rabbit hole of getting vintage horns after (it always starts with one)

·
Registered
VI Soprano, Searchlight Alto, TH&C Tenor
1,304 Posts
Martin Searchlights don’t sell for much, but I decided it was worth getting set up by our local wizard. I can hardly wait to see what he can do with it. (I’d probably have done the same with any great vintage horn. Ymmv.)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can pick up a later King Cleveland for a low as $100 if you shop around. They're nice horns with a sweet tone. I know others are going to say Yamaha YAS-2X and we have a big Jupiter fan here as well. Well made saxes that you can get for little money. So many kids start out on alto sax and quit after a year or two there are thousands of them out there which helps keep the price down. Also they don't get much use so a lot of them are in good shape. If you're a risk taker check out shopgoodwill.com

Perfect example right here. It was the first sax that popped up on shopgoodwill. It goes in 2 hours so better hurry and get your bid in. ;) King Saxophone With Case And Accessories
Thank you, unfortunately, auction was ended at $100 when I saw your post.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I guess I will be looking at some Martins too. I used to have a tenor and indeed had a great tone.

Best,

1 - 20 of 76 Posts