Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I've acquired an early 60's Buescher 400 bari and I'm wondering what the best mpc would be to use with this horn. I play tenor and use a Van Doren with an opening of .110. I bought a Yamaha 5C to use with the bari but I'm not wild about it and need a more open pce. Anyone know if these older horns are chamber size "sensitive"? I play rock and blues and would like a more open sound than what I'm getting with this mpce.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm not sure if this goes for the Buescher 400 too, but for a Buescher Big B baritone from the early 50's, the chamber size is certainly an issue.

I tried to find a very informative post that 'tophatsax' posted here a while ago, but could not find it.
He experimented quite a lot to find the 'right' size of chamber for a mpc for a Buescher Big B and it turned out to be (at least??) 30 ml. Which is quite big and only a few present day mpc's have this size of chamber (I remember Lamberson SB and DD and one of the Runyon models being mentioned).

I play my Big B baritone with a modern STM Link, but I'll probably have the chamber enlarged one of these days as I have some intonation issues myself...

Rocco

Maddahorn said:
Hello all. I've acquired an early 60's Buescher 400 bari and I'm wondering what the best mpc would be to use with this horn.

Anyone know if these older horns are chamber size "sensitive"? I play rock and blues and would like a more open sound than what I'm getting with this mpce.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I bought a little older STM from littlemanbighorn on this forum. I´t has a slightly larger chamber and less baffle than the current model.

Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
400 Bari MPC

Thanks Guys for your input.
I have a STM link for a Tenor that needs some work so I haven't tried it. Sounds like I should.
Will the STM make a difference in the "brightness" of the horn? This 400 seems to need it in the upper register. Of course I'm only going from the Yamaha 5C results but that's all I got.

Rocco, if you find that site I'd really appreciate you letting me know. Sounds like there would be something to learn from it , big time.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Maddahorn said:
Will the STM make a difference in the "brightness" of the horn? This 400 seems to need it in the upper register. Of course I'm only going from the Yamaha 5C results but that's all I got.
I don't think a STM will make the upper register sound brighter. It would more likely give it a darker sound.
For rock, I would choose one of the other mouthpieces suggested in the threads of which I've put a link below (runyon, lamberson SB or DD if you could find one). Although I do think the sound of a STM could work for blues...

Maddahorn said:
Rocco, if you find that site I'd really appreciate you letting me know. Sounds like there would be something to learn from it , big time.
It's not a site, but a post made by 'tophatsax' on this forum. Still couldn't find it throught the search box, but I finally found it through google and it's at http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=39008

Also these can be of interest: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=24633 and
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=23573

1 - 7 of 7 Posts