Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Go easy on it is the first rule. It's not clear from the photo what exactly you've got - it could be an original satin gold plate, but the rudimentary engraving is not usuallly what you see on Conns with that finish; it could be an original polished brass that's later been lacquered, but it kind of looks like satin; or it could have been an original satin silver that was stripped down to brass when the fad was to get rid of all silver plate horns and turn to brass.

If it's gold plate then you could have both dirt (which you can clean off by normal means) or a darkening of the plating by oxidation of the silver layer underneath. Unless you really know what you're doing, that case would call for leaving it alone as application of any kind of abrasive is likely to risk taking off the very thin layer of gold.

If it's polished brass that's been lacquered, then you can clean it, but using any kind of abrasive polish will only shine areas where the lacquer's been lost through wear. And those areas will shine up overly bright, then re-tarnish. It's also possible for abrasive polishes to remove remaining lacquer, which you don't want to do.

About the only saxophone finish where using polish on it is of any benefit is silver plate, which is thick enough that you're not going to wear through it with standard polish (Simichrome or equivalent) and which will actually be positively affected by being polished up.

I have no idea what "lacquer polish" is supposed to be.

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Qalina, I don't think the Yamaha "lacquer polish" - probably meant for guitars - can possibly harm the finish of your horn, whether it's lacquered brass or gold plate. Try it. I doubt it will do much of anything, but if it can't hurt, why not?

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Well, it's probably some kind of a light oil in a carrier that evaporates, so it makes such finishes seem shinier. It might also help in removing general dirt and grime. It almost certainly won't do anything to change the color of tarnished metal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts