Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

recently i tried some new techniques for a nice unique finish on a bare brass Tenor. The goal was to give the body a brownish, marble like finish and a lighter touch to the keys.
The basis was a New King with pretty beat up lacquer, but otherwise good technical condition. Other than that i did a complete overhaul - the sax is now a fantastic player :)
What do you think?

View attachment 236350

View attachment 236352

View attachment 236354

View attachment 236356

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts
it looks like a new horn trying to look old while it is an old horn which could have kept its look

I suppose you did well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it looks like a new horn trying to look old while it is an old horn which could have kept its look
I'm a big fan of leaving the looks on vintage horns, but this particular one did not age well (imho) and i just wanted to try something new

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
I like the look, something of the Inderbinen to it perhaps?

Mind you, others may say based on my regular players that I have questionable taste at best...

·
Premium Member
15,494 Posts
Good for you for trying something out for yourself. That’s what it’s all about.
As long as you are happy with it, that’s all that matters. I think it looks very cool.

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
What did you use, Birchwood-Casey Brass Blackener? I've used that product on firearm related items, and it give a similar effect if diluted and removed quickly so that it is not allowed to fully blacken the surface.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All the chemicals are from a german company called "Tifoo". The steps were pre-treatment (lacquer strip, removing tarnish, ultrasonic cleaning, degreaseing), several applications of diluted "patination solution" and finally a lot of polishing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,443 Posts
I would have liked it better just using a tarnish remover on the raw brass and leaving the existing lacquer on. That combination of raw brass and shiny lacquer really does it for me.

However, what you did is certainly not bad - I particularly like the hints of coloration that appeared - I bet the 'blue' really pops in the sun light.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,443 Posts
What did you use, Birchwood-Casey Brass Blackener? I've used that product on firearm related items, and it give a similar effect if diluted and removed quickly so that it is not allowed to fully blacken the surface.

If you let it blacken the surface, then remove it from the high spots with a Scotchbrite pad/water, you'll end up with a finish similar to the Ref 54. You would have to clear coat it to keep it that way.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Very cool, congratulations for the good job!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I tried some new techniques for a nice unique finish on a bare brass Tenor. The goal was to give the body a brownish, marble like finish and a lighter touch to the keys...

What do you think?
It looks nice as is now. Have you stabilized the finish, or will it go "natural" now - orange, green, etc.?

Palo Tung at JustSaxes used to do a similar finish, but I recall that he stabilized it with matte lacquer.

Reactions: frasermanx

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
That "marbled finish" is quite unique. I haven't seen one like that before. The "antique" finishes I have done on saxophones have been applied after giving the body and keys a "satin" or "brushed" finish. That seems to produce a more even coloring. I have done several attempts to "color" brass with a buffed finish, but it never takes the chemical patina as evenly as the brushed finish. I have used chemicals from EPI in the past. The biggest problem is that when buying in any usable quantity the hazardous materials shipping charge is quite expensive.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It looks nice as is now. Have you stabilized the finish, or will it go "natural" now - orange, green, etc.?

Palo Tung at JustSaxes used to do a similar finish, but I recall that he stabilized it with matte lacquer.
I did not plan to stabilize it. I did a light patination on a tenor (i play a lot) 3 years ago with the same products and it looks still great looking.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts