Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the sounds and effects players like Ian Underwood and Bunk Gardner used to get with the Mothers of Invention. I'm thinking of early MOI albums, Chungas Revenge and the Gumbo Variations etc, What would I need to get to recreate these effects in a live situation. I'm a total novice with electronics though years ago I used a stick on pickup on the reed of my alto and a " Tootle Bug" made by Ashton Tootle in London on my flute that was great and I still have.
I know these players used drilled pick ups and Maestro woodwind units. What's the modern equivalent? I'm not interested in a natural amplified sound.
thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,878 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Sure you can. The thing is after the mixer your signal has line level so you can feed the signal thru any effect you like, like a guitar player with all the pedalboards. Just recently a went to a fantastic Nils Landgren & the funk unit concert here in munich. He had a superb sax player from sweden, Magnus Lindgren. He was playing with a wireless unit and feeding the signal from the receiver thru a bunch of stompboxes, octaver, auto-wah, echoplex...Some pretty nice and nasty sounds came from the sax.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Doc
For those of us who arent electronic gear heads, have you got a couple of recommendations for a reliable mixer?
Thanks
Al

·
Registered
51 Posts
mixer, etc

A company called Behringer out of Germany cranks out tons of low cost but fairly reliable gear. There is some debate over their equipment, but I can honestly say I'm happy with their units that I have (I guess I'm 8 devices deep now) and happy. I don't have any of their mixers, but they should be fine for your application. Just remember that some channels may be microphone impedance, some may be line level impedance, and some may switch. My 16 channel Sony mixer that I use for my keyboards / PC has 4 mic only channels, 4 that are mic/line, and 4 stereo line only channels. Wait, I guess it's a 24 channel mixer. Hmp, anyways, Behringer is the low end, Mackie is a step up and makes nicer stuff.

I have one of their VAmp Pro guitar effects units, rackmount and pretty decent for the money IMHO. Can get them for $100 from eBay, and if your not afraid of midi and what not there is parameter editing software for Windows and people can somehow share their presets or something.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use a Maestro W-3 with a mouthpiece pickup...I like the sound of it Funky and Quirky. I hook it up to my pedal board which includes, tape delay, Echo, chorus, tremolo, wah, and flanger. next is a harmonizer, and a leslie simulator then ill be set. I dont care for moving around on stage so i dont care about the cord hangin from my MP. When i use this set-up i tend to use more effects than a standard sax tone so it doenst bother me that the straight tone is altered, but it makes it almost flute like.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts