Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one came along my way with its original cap and lig, and since it is a 6* which I prefer to a 4 or 5 that was opened I bought it in spite of the fact that the black bite plate is unfamliar to me. I think it is a first series one-piece Dukoff Hollywood with a serial on the side.
Did Dukoff use black bite plates at that time or was it replaced? I will get it tomorrow, and I'm very curious to know what it will sound like on my Conn Transitional Art Deco "Marlene" some of you might know from earlier posts (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w7muw3hfkarstkt/AAC8qFLenm1d29LtMUHnt8tBa?dl=0).
Thanks for shedding some light on this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
According to Teo Wanne's Mouthpiece Museum, the bite plates were white. So the bite plate on yours was changed at some point. Dukoff did not use the black bite plate until 1963 on a transitional model that preceded the Super Power Chamber model.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I've only seen them with white bite plates. And a good part of them have plates that don't look to good anymore. Damaged from playing ofcourse but some even look a bit brittle as if they are falling apart. So this is probably a replacement bite plate. A white bite plate would have been a great match with the rollers on your stunning Tranny.
Nice looking mpc btw, congrats on the find.......and if the black plate isn't your thing......I'm not that far from Cologne.......could make the trip if necesarry....:whistle:

Hope you enjoy the piece, would't mind hearing a soundclip with the Tranny, enjoy...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the offer, Grumpie, but I'm not a collector, so cosmetics do not really play an important part. If I feel I'd like it better with a white bite plate, I'm sure I'll find someone who can do the job. What IS important is the fact it's an original 6*. I usually prefer original tip openings. What I might do sooner or later is to have someone look at the setup (rails, table), but you must be careful there as well: some pieces have plane tables, others are meant to be concave. I guess a lot of tables have been ruined because someone thought all tables must be plane....

·
Registered
794 Posts
I was only joking ofcourse Heiner, it's a great looking piece in the pictures and I assume it will be a great match for your Conn. Enjoy....

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My first go at the Hollywood was a bit sobering: a lot squealing in the upper register, I feel like I have to adjust a lot to this mouthpiece. Have you got similar experiences with a change from a Link Florida or NY Double Ring to a Dukoff? Can it be that the tables are so different that you can't use the same reeds on both pieces? I used a Woodstone 3 and a RJS 2H, pretty much my standard these days.
Anyway, when I had a close look in sunlight and moved the mouthpiece, exposing the baffle to different angles of reflexion of sunlight, I became aware that the very front of the baffle shows a very small step. You will see that when you go to the new thread I have started to have experts like Marin Spivak and others have a look if this piece has been worked on. I bought it as original including the original lig and cap and forgave about the bite plate (so many are ugly and falling to pieces). But if the pieces has been worked on and I was not informed correctly, this will be a no-go. The pics above were taken by the original owner, I have just taken hi-res and small copies for the new thread. Thanks for your help and comments.
This is the new thread:

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...is-Vintage-Dukoff-Hollywood-6*-been-worked-on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.