Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

There is an old conn in a local music store where I live. It says C.G.Conn on the front, has a trill G#, forked E (I think) and is a silver finish. The neck has an obscure look to it, there is a name for it, but I can't think of it at the moment. I was told however that it was made by Beuscher and had a Conn stamp on it. I've also heard that it is called a "True Bari". I have looked up true tones and other conns but they don't seem to look similar to this one. I can't post pictures, but its serial number is M146522. The store told me it was from the early 50's or before, yet I just looked and the serial number matches up with one from the 80's. Sorry I can't post pictures, but can anyone help me try to figure out what it is exactly?

The horn plays nicely, and I was looking for a jazz horn. I usually play on a YAS-62II, but I wanted something for jazz if it was for the right price. They said they could give it to me for $900, which sounds like a good asking price if its what i think it is. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
McClintock

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just found out that it is a "Chu Berry" saxophone. I couldn't understand him when he said what it was and I just stumbled upon it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,526 Posts
Very old Conn... Sure, $900 in perfect shape, repadded w/ no dents and a nice mpc 'maybe' OR probably maybe not...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it plays just fine. Its not in absolute perfect shape, they just repaired it back to working order and cleaned up the laquer. I believe it was repadded. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, sorry, I meant polishing the silver, I'm just used to my saxophones having lacquer. It does have the nail file G# and a micro-tuner.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,000 Posts
A Silver Chu, cleaned and repadded and in good playing shape, speaking up & down...IS worth $900; that's a fair price...unless the body has some damage beyond a few dings here and there.

I think these are awesome horns. They tend to go in and out of vougue, market-wise, I have noticed.

The question is, how does it feel to you ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
These horns can go for less than $500 on Ebay, though needing work. If you dig the horn, offer $500 and see where the price goes from there.
Grumps, you are one of thoe people who thinks if he says something enough it must be true. Keep saying' it, someday a clean chu alto will only be worth $500. Sheez.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,254 Posts
Grumps, you are one of thoe people who thinks if he says something enough it must be true.
No, I'm giving an accurate account of what these horns can sell for in private sales (note the Ebay reference and "though needing work") and offering tips to help another member here bargain for a better price.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
I just paid $425 on ebay for one that looks very original and even with new pads I won't be into more than $750 so I say $900 is up there for a silver one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts