Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a vintage 1957 Conn 10M, serial # 707283 at a garage sale yesterday. The body and neck are in great condition with only a few very small dents on the bell. Engraving is sharp. Key mechanisms work fine. However, the majority of the pads are shot. I paid $200.00 US for the horn which came in the original case and included a mouthpiece and ligature.

I spoke to my sax repair guy and he quoted my $450.00 US to replace all pads, clean up the horn, and make all necessary adjustments. I already have a Jupiter JTS 689-687 Tenor which I paid next to nothing for. I had my sax repair guy fix all the leaks in the Jupiter, so it plays fine now.

I have been playing for less than two years, but I am having the time of my life!!!

So I have a few questions:

Did I pay too much for the Conn 10M? Is it worth investing $450.00 to replace all pads and clean it up? What will the 10M be worth after the pads are replaced (more or less)?

How does the Conn 10M compare to the Jupiter JTS 689-687?

Thanks for taking time to read and reply!!!
Paul K.

·
Registered
886 Posts
If you wind up with a functional, good looking 10M after only $650, I'd say did well. If yours has nickel keys, overslung neck, and naked lady engraving, you're a couple hundred under what they have been going for in the used market.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Nice one! good vintage too--wish you could find them at such a low price over here. The Jupiters are good functional horns--but a 10m--well its like comparing an E-Type Jaguar to a Toyota ---dont start on me guys!! just sayin'-------------

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
743 Posts
Yes, you did very well. $450 for a full repad and regulate is about as low as it gets, especially if your tech is really good. $200 for the 10M was a steal, and with a total cost of $650, you have one of the finest American tenors on the planet for 1/3 the cost of a new Yamaha YTS-23 (which is not a bad horn, either).
Sax Magic

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I've got a Jupiter Artist tenor (plus a Kohlert and a Martin) and I'd happily take a 10M anyday, Bop!

·
Banned
184 Posts
You scored.

You will find that the 10M takes some getting used to if you learned on modern horns, but it will reward you with a depth and richness that the Jupiter can only dream about. I used to have a 57 and it was brighter than the earlier 10Ms, best with a mellow setup. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with plastic resos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thank for you post. My sax repair guy is excellent! I'm very happy with all repairs and time-ups he's done for me. This is a major job, and I wish I didn't have to wait so long to get my "naked lady" back!

Thanks and take care,
Paul
Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool! Great to read your endorsement. I am really excited to get it back. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Best, Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I started out playing an alto, but finally convinced my teacher that it was time to move to tenor. The only tenor sax I've ever played is my Jupiter. I can't wait to hear the difference. Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I picked up my naked lady yesterday. She looks beautiful again. The sound is so smooth and I had no problems switching over from the Jupiter that I've been playing for some time. I'll probably hold on to the Jupiter s a backup until I find another good deal again. Thanks to everyone for all your responses to my original post. Take care!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts