Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need help in identifying a tenor saxophone. The only thing written on the sax is "Condor" on the bell. On the back of the horn is written "Special Services Property 210."

I've contacted several vintage sax repair techs, none of whom have heard of a Condor. One suggested that Special Services Property could be referring to a horn bought for the military. I've seen a newer horn on eBay with the name Condor and appears to be a Chinese made horn. I have no way of estimating the year of my horn, but I'd say it's at least 30-40 years old. Doing some research online, I saw a Condor tenor linked to Keilwerth, but that was only one and I have no idea if mine is.

Has anyone ever heard of a vintage Condor? Any idea what Special Services Property means? Would it be accurate to say that if it is military property, they would not have purchased junk?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
Most likely your saxophone is a stencil (a sax made by a company for another company that put their name on the sax)

You mentioned Keilwerth... does your saxophone marked with Made In Germany any where on the body? Are the tone holes rolled or flat?

Junk Dude has a Condor on his site and it is a stencil made by Keilwerth

Take some images and post them here for us to see. That's the easiest way. Good luck with your saxophone. If it is a Keilwerth sax it willbe a good one for you to use.

Best regards
Hutmo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
These are the only pictures I have at the moment. I don't know if you'll be able to tell much from them.

Unfortunately, I don't know whether the tone holes are round or flat.

There is nothing on the horn about where it was made. Simply "Condor" on the bell and "Special Services Property 210" on the back. Any idea what that means??

The only other thing I could find on the web with the name Condor besides the Keilwerth is the following, which looks like a cheap, newer Taiwanese/Chinese horn:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Condor-Alto-Saxophone-for-Restoration_W0QQitemZ170215970648QQcmdZViewItem

Until this mystery horn is identified, can anyone tell by the pictures whether this horn is at least good quality or a piece of junk? Worth $495?

·
1,571 Posts
Too much mystery for me plus the pads look to have pretty deep seats in them. I would not go there.

For not much more than that price you can get a good stencil saxophone.

Just my 2 Cents
Hutmo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank, Hutmo.

The sax has been newly repadded. What is meant by "deep seats on the pads?"

I had someone take a look at it who specializes in vintage saxes. He said he's pretty certain it's a Pan American stencil from the late 50's. I don't know much about them, but he said they're pretty good horns and fully worth the $495 considering it has new pads.

Any input on Pan Americans?

I've seen some Vito tenors out there in the same price range. Would you recommend a Vito over this "Condor"?
I know that depending on the year the Vito was made, it can be pretty decent or pretty bad. Which years are the good years for Vitos?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Pan American was a name used by Conn for their second line horns up to WW2. It is not possible, I believe, to have a Pan American stencil. It would be a Conn stencil. This does not look like one too me, but I'm no Conn expert.
There are guys that are on the forum who could probably tell you for sure.
I think you can do better for your money. I would buy the Vito before this one. There are a lot of choices for the same or a little more money for well known, reliable horns, like the YAS 23 or the Vito stencil version of it that will serve you well and be easily resellable as you move up.

·
4,507 Posts
be aware that Condor was a name used by chinese manufacturers when they was doing really nasty things shaped mostly like a saxophone. present times chinese production is like a MKVI compared to some early chinese attempts to build a sax.

·
1,571 Posts
I am just looking at the first image in the second set of images you posted.

When a sax is repadded and not done properly the technician will seat the padsto cover up that some of the tone holes may not be level or some other sin.

Thank, Hutmo.

The sax has been newly repadded. What is meant by "deep seats on the pads?"

I had someone take a look at it who specializes in vintage saxes. He said he's pretty certain it's a Pan American stencil from the late 50's. I don't know much about them, but he said they're pretty good horns and fully worth the $495 considering it has new pads.

Any input on Pan Americans?

I've seen some Vito tenors out there in the same price range. Would you recommend a Vito over this "Condor"?
I know that depending on the year the Vito was made, it can be pretty decent or pretty bad. Which years are the good years for Vitos?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Re : Re: Vintage Condor Tenor Saxophone

.... I was thinking that condor is a bird not a factory.... ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts