Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vintage tenor that has its original case. However, the case is severely lacking in padding and the horn rattles around a bit in the case. I would really like to get the interior of the case redone, possibly with a vaccu-form mold or something like that. Does anyone know of a place that refurbishes old cases like that? I've been googling, but haven't found anything so far.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,255 Posts
Best to do it yourself as I have never found a place that is interested in horns. Also you would need to leave your horn with them. What case is it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,445 Posts
However......while it is nice to keep the old case as a collector’s item, it is probably not a good idea to use it for transporting your horn, even after restoring.

Are you sure you want to invest into rebuilding an old case that will never be as protective as a new one?

Do consider a Protec Contour ( XL or Normal) .

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Millard, why is this not a good idea? I have no affiliation with Manning, but the way they describe their services seems to yield a very protective case. I quote: "In this process we strip an existing case down to its shell, reinforce it and reconstruct it using our hardware and techniques."

Now, I agree with you a contoured case is more convenient, because of it's shape and weight. But if that case Jason looks cool, I'd rather remodel and use it then keep it empty in the closet.

·
41,445 Posts
Millard?

Because a vintage case , unless you make it into something else than it was not before it was renovated, therefore no longer resembling, even remotely, the original ( which is the entire point of preserving the original case from a collector’s point of view ) will never ever be as protective as one modern case such as Protec or other brands.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Sorry, Milandro, text auto-correct's got me again. That is the concept Manning offers, to completely remodel the interior with molded foam, new reinforcements, re-design the interior pockets and cavities to fit your horn and accessories. They have some pretty cool pictures in their website. That is what I understood is Jason's goal, not to remodel the original case to it's original interior shape.

·
41,445 Posts
but then your “ original” case is no longer original...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,255 Posts
I have about 40 horns and they all reside in their vintage cases. If I take one out to a job, the horn and neck goes into a Pro-tec with my mouthpieces and strap and upon returning, back to bed in their correct case. I agree that once the case is modified, it is no longer an original case. Like putting a modern engine in a vintage car.

·
41,445 Posts
Indeed Bruce, nothing wrong for a horn in “ residing” in a vintage case, the problems, as you very well know being one of the problem-solvers of this world, arise when one transports vintage horns around in vintage cases. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,189 Posts
Generally, I put my vintage cases aside that came with horns I've purchased over the last few years due to the mold that came with them. But they do generally offer very poor protection, and even when I kept horns I owned for decades in them way back when, I always put extra padding in with them.

But so long as the vintage case isn't irreparably mold smelling, I could understand if one wants to try to modernize them. Thing is though, I doubt the cost for doing so would be less than buying a Protec.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I see two reasons to modernize an old case:

1- some cases are really sleek with peach leather or crocodile skin, etc. I'd rather make it functional and use it then have it idling in my closet.

2- improve its inner space utilization. The standard coffin case layout is very inefficient. With molded foam we can pack much more and still be very protective of every item. Manning shows some projects on their site. Or we could fit an alto and a soprano in a tenor case, etc.

·
41,445 Posts
How long would the beautiful outside faux croc, 80 years old case, last by being brought round and about? But I suppose there must be people who don’t care and live burning the candle at both ends wasting in a few years what took 80 years to come to us. It’s your money.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Indeed, and it's just a case and money. BTW, that sax that came with it is being brought around and about, wearing out. Should it be in the closet too because it is 50 or 80 years old? What's the point in keeping an empty case in a closet for the next 60 years till we all pass away and someone else does who knows what to it next? Not that these are super rare items that should be in a museum. If they are then put case, sax, mouthpiece and end plug all together in there.

But we don't all need to agree, do we? Jason asked a question, I hope he'll appreciate our different views.

·
41,445 Posts
...and I gave a more than honest and well meant answer. Never said not to play a vintage sax, not to ruin it, I merely said to just to preserve the case, and buy a modern case. It will be cheaper and more efficient.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to start the debate and then disappear! I have a vintage Malerne tenor and I was just curious as to how I could improve the case. I have a modern case for it also, but it would be nice to have the original case be useful again.

Here are photos of the case:
https://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/ZLl81zsih19izUo

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Case looks pretty average. I wouldn't spend the money on this one personally. But if you dig it, now you have at least one other option, besides doing it yourself.

I hope you can tell we had fun while you're out :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts