Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know that Morgan creates some well-respected mouthpieces, but I don't think they are talked about enough. I just purchased a Vintage model for my soprano and this thing flat out plays!! After shedding for the last few days on this piece it is now my soprano mouthpiece. It has a much bigger or fuller sound than the Vandoren V16 and not as bright or nasal. It is also the most free blowing soprano mouthpiece in my stable. That in itself is requiring some practice to get better control of the mouthpiece. Currently, it is on sale. The regular price is $199, but on their web site it is $139. If you are looking to give yourself a Christmas present might I suggest this dynamo of a stocking stuffer? I chose the #4 tip opening (0.055") which is a little more closed than the V16 S6 I was playing, but I can put a lot of air through it. This piece is constructed of "resin" and not hard rubber, but that shouldn't matter much. I haven't dropped it on concrete and I don't plan on it but accidents do happen.

Check it out.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you by chance tried the rubber Otto? If so just wondering how it compares. (I have one coming in the mail.)
Yes, I have a couple of those and they play pretty well. They are very sweet sounding with about the same amount of resistance as my Selmer S80. I was almost going to switch to a Link, but my attention was caught by the Vandoren V16.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yes, I have a couple of those and they play pretty well. They are very sweet sounding with about the same amount of resistance as my Selmer S80. I was almost going to switch to a Link, but my attention was caught by the Vandoren V16.
Any thoughts on how the Otto rubber compares to your new Morgan vintage, just simple stuff like brighter or darker?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any thoughts on how the Otto rubber compares to your new Morgan vintage, just simple stuff like brighter or darker?
The link is darker, but I feel like the vintage is not just brighter, but also richer. For me it just has a bigger sound. The vintage has much less resistance as well, but that’s nether good nor bad, but I prefer it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Agreed, Morgan Resin are hidden treasures..I bought a couple several years ago and never knew I bought a resin piece; was not paying attention to material description. Still use them and they are excellent.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,111 Posts
I agree!!!

I've suggested these many times to new soprano players on this forum. I was lucky enough to buy mine (I bought two, and still own one) about 10 years ago, when they were going for only $80 or so. I've since tried a bunch of more expensive boutique mouthpieces, but this remains one of my favorites.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Morgan pieces have been my go-to for many years and I have them for all my saxes. Got mine when Ralph was still alive and doing the finishings on them. I have a Morgan 6 that is my main piece on sop and I have a Lamberson that I use once in a while but always come back to the Morgan. It does provide one of the warmer sounds of any others that I've tried over the years. Nice to see that the quality is still good on current production.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,476 Posts
I have a few of them - and for a long time, they were my go-to soprano mouthpiece. I have Vintages in 6 and 7 tips, as well as a 7-Large Chamber. I also have the hard-rubber version in 7 (I think it is called the Jazz model). The first two I bought I had shortened so they'd go on far enough on my then-Buescher TT straight). All of them gave me a big warm sound with good projection and a focused sound.

One problem for me was that all of the Morgan soprano barrels were of a greater inner diameter than other branded mouthpieces. I always had to wrap my neck-corks with plumber's tape.

Since those days, I've changed to smaller tip openings, so the Morgans are in the old mouthpiece box. I re-visit them on occasion and I'm always pleased with the results I get with them.

One mouthpiece I have with similar playing characteristics to the Morgans is Phil-Tone's Sapphire (.070 tip). Never got on with Links - I have an STM 7* - very strong but harsh. DAVE

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a few of them - and for a long time, they were my go-to soprano mouthpiece. I have Vintages in 6 and 7 tips, as well as a 7-Large Chamber. I also have the hard-rubber version in 7 (I think it is called the Jazz model). The first two I bought I had shortened so they'd go on far enough on my then-Buescher TT straight). All of them gave me a big warm sound with good projection and a focused sound.

One problem for me was that all of the Morgan soprano barrels were of a greater inner diameter than other branded mouthpieces. I always had to wrap my neck-corks with plumber's tape.

Since those days, I've changed to smaller tip openings, so the Morgans are in the old mouthpiece box. I re-visit them on occasion and I'm always pleased with the results I get with them.

One mouthpiece I have with similar playing characteristics to the Morgans is Phil-Tone's Sapphire (.070 tip). Never got on with Links - I have an STM 7* - very strong but harsh. DAVE
I am thinking to have my soprano recorked to fit the Vintage, but that means I'll never be able to play my S80 for classical. How does the shank diameter of other Morgan pieces run? Are they all largish?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,697 Posts
i just have taken to mating a soprano to a certain mpc or 2 . if i need to use a mpc that dosnt fit-i set up another horn for that mpc. having 10 sopranos makes this easy

·
Registered
SDA, SBA. 62ii tenors, Yana, B&S sopranos
129 Posts
I have old Morgan pieces. I just found them tucked away in my double bass mic pouch and had been looking for them for 10 years now :D. Excalibur Alto and no model name on the soprano - just marked 7. I think I got them in mid 90's or even earlier. My alto is in repair and this 7 is a bit too open for me now. I need softer reeds. Back then I did not know about Ralph's legacy with Selmer. I got them for a really good price second hand .The Excalibur is bright.

·
VENDOR "Innovation over imitation"
16,451 Posts
I uawd one of these for my sop many years ago and it was a very good mouthpiece.
They do a very good job over at Morgan, so if you order their pieces, you should never have any worries. Very good modern mouthpieces. I miss my conversations with Ralph!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts