Sax on the Web Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
I am not sure, this really looks like it has been reworked with a different tool at the tip of the bullet .

True B-L are rough but I have my reservations of this piece.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I went back to the shop because of the ligature. As it turns out they gave me a wrong one. I post a photo with it and also the bullet chamber that came up. It does look a little bit reworked on the sides. Do you guys still think its from the 50s?

Registered
I'm convinced yours is the same as the one at the bottom of this picture from Theo's article I linked to earlier. Yes, from the 50's. The bullet shape marks are common as you can see in other pictures in the article or other pictures you find online. My vintage ones have the same rough marks.

Distinguished SOTW Member
I鈥檇 say 1960鈥檚 era.
The 1950鈥檚 pieces had more of a slope in the beak, like the very vintage pieces from the 1940鈥檚, but they weren鈥檛 as long in the body.
This looks like a straight bill piece from the 1960鈥檚 to me.
And I don鈥檛 believe that rough bullet chamber has been reworked, as every stainless Berg I鈥檝e owned had had a rough bullet chamber.

Distinguished SOTW Member
Im glad you got the metal lig. I have found frequently that cloth or leather ligs fail to seal. They would be convenient for my refacing work with many mouthpiece types but they fail to cut the mustard in play tests. As a result Ive got a box full of different ligs.

Registered
This piece is most likely a late 70's piece. Older Bergs did not have that lake depression at the beginning of the baffle.

Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
This piece is most likely a late 70's piece. Older Bergs did not have that lake depression at the beginning of the baffle.
It isn't from the 1970s as the machining used to make it was abandoned by Berg sometime in the 1960s. The milling marks were horizontal in the 1970s. This piece looks like the early to mid 1960s based off of the way it was made.

Someone reworked the tip and thickened it up and did that to the baffle at the same time. The tip is not original based on the photos.

Registered
I鈥檇 say 1960鈥檚 era.
The 1950鈥檚 pieces had more of a slope in the beak, like the very vintage pieces from the 1940鈥檚, but they weren鈥檛 as long in the body.
This looks like a straight bill piece from the 1960鈥檚 to me.
And I don鈥檛 believe that rough bullet chamber has been reworked, as every stainless Berg I鈥檝e owned had had a rough bullet chamber.
I agree with this.

Registered
Why is this a 50s era mouthpiece when the SMS is not offset? I am not arguing; just asking for personal edification.
There were actually a good amount of Bergs from the 50s and 60s that weren't offset. This is a common misconception that they were always offset. I'd say 20% or more that I've seen on tenor were not offset.

Although most are "offset", you can't rely on that alone.

I'm not sure what machine or stamping they used to get them stamped, but more than likely it was the person and how they lined it up that day.

Reactions: brasscane

Registered
Hello guys
I have just bought a vintage berg larsen metal mouthpiece. I would like to know how old it could be. It has vertical stripes on the facing and a bullet chamber. In the store they said its from the 60s but on the web i have found an article on theo wanne portal that these kind of mouthpieces were made 70-80. I will link the pictures below锟. Also if any of you have reed suggestions on it i am happy to hear it. Also what does this worth? View attachment 106243 View attachment 106244 View attachment 106245
Lot of interesting thoughts in this thread, but I can tell you 2 things for sure. This is front he 1960s and thw tip / baffle was reworked by someone at some point in time. So it's not original. Looks like it'll be a good piece though and it still has a $250-$300 value.

Registered
Now that we beat the how old is it horse to death, tell us how it plays !!

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
There were actually a good amount of Bergs from the 50s and 60s that weren't offset. This is a common misconception that they were always offset. I'd say 20% or more that I've seen on tenor were not offset.

Although most are "offset", you can't rely on that alone.

I'm not sure what machine or stamping they used to get them stamped, but more than likely it was the person and how they lined it up that day.
My theory has always been that they stamped the "M" or "SMS" on Friday afternoons after returning from the local pub. I suppose the 20% were stamped on days were the pub ran out of beer and the ones stamped upside down on occasions were drinks were on the house.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts